Technical is it true if?

Currently reading:
Technical is it true if?

if you dont tell the car that its had a service the DPF will keep regenerating all the time since it will think the oil is old?

i herd this from another fiat garage when i tried to get some information.

He said that if they aint told the computer that its had a service the DPF will be regernating all the time due to it thinkin the oil is old..

he also seemed very shocked that it had only had one oil change in 19k miles

would any of you think this was far to little?
Also how would i know if they have told the computer on the car that its had a oil change? by checkin the Service intervel on it?

Morning

Well thats poppy-cock! what actually happens is..... if the oil degredation counter is not reset then the DPF system will fail to function on the count that it thinks the oil has been degraded to much and to save the engine from damage it then sends error messages to the instruments aswell as putting the DPF light on or oil can flashes, and finally the vehicle goes into limp home mode.

So in real terms it is very important that you do reset the oil degredation counter and also you the correct low ash oil.

Omad (y)

Morning

Well thats poppy-cock! what actually happens is..... if the oil degredation counter is not reset then the DPF system will fail to function on the count that it thinks the oil has been degraded to much and to save the engine from damage it then sends error messages to the instruments aswell as putting the DPF light on or oil can flashes, and finally the vehicle goes into limp home mode.

So in real terms it is very important that you do reset the oil degredation counter and also you the correct low ash oil.

Omad (y)

ok decent thanks for that but how do i know if that counter has been reset?

is that the counter thats in the menu? where it tells you how many more miles are left before you need to do the next service?

Im afraid not, the only way to read and reset the counter is via the examiner which is the dealer's diagnostic tool.

And that counter in the menu is only a distance/time based counter for services nothing to do with oil quality

Last edited:
Im afraid not, the only way to read and reset the counter is via the examiner which is the dealer's diagnostic tool.

And that counter in the menu is only a distance/time based counter for services nothing to do with oil quality

oh rite thats a bit rubbish.. that means even if i service the car my self i will have to take it to the dealer regardless to get the computer re programmed to let it know its been serviced or had a oil change???

im very fond of doing things like that my self since i only really trust my self when gettin these things done.

Either this is complete BS or I have no clue what you two are talking about.

I had my oil replaced twice already by a local service center, they didn't plug any diagnostic device to my car or reset anything.

The ratchet icon that showed on my display dispared on its own a few miles after its programmed distance was exceeded.

Either this is complete BS or I have no clue what you two are talking about.

I had my oil replaced twice already by a local service center, they didn't plug any diagnostic device to my car or reset anything.

The ratchet icon that showed on my display dispared on its own a few miles after its programmed distance was exceeded.

No this is not BS.

If your car has a DPF (diesel particulate filter) system then your car will tell you when it needs an oil change aswell as telling you when the annual service is due, and if this oil change is not carried out then the car believes that the oil is to contaminated to carry out a regeneration. if you just replace the oil and do not reset the oil degredation counter the ecu will still see the oil as being to contaminated to regenerate, like wise can be said for if you get the oil changed and reset the counter but use the incorrect oil....

Basically if you do not adhere to the car's request's for oil changes and reset the oil degredation counter then you will be in for a whole host of problems some of which could cost you in excess of £1000 for say a DPF filter, because if the car cannot regen then the filter will block and become useless not to mention the car will go into limp mode!

HHmmmm very strange

Have you never had a red flashing oil can light up your display or the message saying oil change ?

Has it never been dealer serviced ?

I have a friend that works for delphi and i know that they are in re-develpoment of the software to incorporate the oil deg reset, so maybe the places you get your oil changes done have such software... just a thought.

Maybe a dealer should take a look at the parameters of your engine ?

My car has done 45k Km (more than 25k miles) and it has the particles filter, why doesn't it show any warning message?

Im pretty sure in saying tad-bravo that if your car has got a dpf filter that you would have had a message by now.

Maybe im wrong tho. certainly would not be the first time lol

The place I get mine serviced has a Fiat examiner - it was broken when I got mine serviced so had to go back a few weeks later to get the DPF reset.

Bunny's Croma is flashing that we need to change the engine oil - will need to get that done when it goes into the garage next - along with making sure the DPF is reset!

Would someone be able to explain what the oil changes and subsequently the condition of your oil have to do with the particulate filter and it heating itself up to burn off deposits...

In short to heat the filter up the engine requires the injectors to fire twice in a cycle instead of once and during this phase some fuel can and does escape past the piston rings and into the sump, then this is where the oil degredation counter index comes in as it measures the quality of the oil, and once the oil has to much fuel in there it signals the engine ecu which then tells the instrument panel which then tells you. all of this happens over months and months well dependant on your driving style....

I hope this has made it a little clearer for you.

In short to heat the filter up the engine requires the injectors to fire twice in a cycle instead of once and during this phase some fuel can and does escape past the piston rings and into the sump, then this is where the oil degredation counter index comes in as it measures the quality of the oil, and once the oil has to much fuel in there it signals the engine ecu which then tells the instrument panel which then tells you. all of this happens over months and months well dependant on your driving style....

I hope this has made it a little clearer for you.

this has made everything very clear.. this explains exactly why my car was juddering when it was regenerating.. and it explains why its using sooo much fuel when it regenerates.. im convinced its dumping more fuel then they are making out and its doing it every 120miles so im loosing loads of fuel..

already started making enquierys about buying a new car anyway.. since im so fed up with it.. and im getting no help from fiat what so ever..

Back