Technical Intermittent starting

Currently reading:
Technical Intermittent starting

BaileyXLM

Hi guys,

I've had my bravo for a few months now and I've been having a very intermittent starting issue I hope you guys could help me with. It's a 1.9 120 and when I wait for all the lights to go out and turn the key I'll sometimes end up just listening to it turning over but not kicking in. So I'll turn it off again wait for the lights to go out and get the same thing. This can happen 3 or 4 times before it starts. It's always had a bit of a 'rough' burst in to life, but It'll drive perfect once it's started. As I say it doesn't happen all the time, perhaps once a day.

There's no error codes or lights/warnings flashing up so I don't understand what the problem is or where to start trying to fix it. Help?

Also recently I've been getting pretty low mpg, coincidently ever since cleaning the egr and boost sensor. Could I have messed something up whilst cleaning it that would effect mpg?

Thanks!

Hi guys,

I've had my bravo for a few months now and I've been having a very intermittent starting issue I hope you guys could help me with. It's a 1.9 120 and when I wait for all the lights to go out and turn the key I'll sometimes end up just listening to it turning over but not kicking in. So I'll turn it off again wait for the lights to go out and get the same thing. This can happen 3 or 4 times before it starts. It's always had a bit of a 'rough' burst in to life, but It'll drive perfect once it's started. As I say it doesn't happen all the time, perhaps once a day.

There's no error codes or lights/warnings flashing up so I don't understand what the problem is or where to start trying to fix it. Help?

Also recently I've been getting pretty low mpg, coincidently ever since cleaning the egr and boost sensor. Could I have messed something up whilst cleaning it that would effect mpg?

Thanks!

Don't turn the key immediately the glowplug light goes out. Wait a couple of seconds, then try starting. It sometimes takes longer for fuel pressure to build up in the common rail. I had the same "problem" on my car before I realised what was happening.

If you turn off your radio and heater fan, then turn on the ignition, you may well hear a motor whine, which stops a few seconds after the lights go out. That's the fuel pump.

Don't turn the key immediately the glowplug light goes out. Wait a couple of seconds, then try starting. It sometimes takes longer for fuel pressure to build up in the common rail. I had the same "problem" on my car before I realised what was happening.

If you turn off your radio and heater fan, then turn on the ignition, you may well hear a motor whine, which stops a few seconds after the lights go out. That's the fuel pump.

Yeah I've been doing that as well. It doesn't help that the radio starts automatically to block out the noise either :p I thought I'd 'fixed' the problem by waiting for the noise to stop as it hadn't struggled in a while. However even with waiting for the fuel pump it still took 3 or 4 attempts, which is what happened last night. It's just a tad embarressing, especially coming from a 98 Rover which had no problems in the 4 years i owned it and started in the blink of an eye.

My first thought was glow plugs, but I've not had a check glow plug message. Hmm.

Back