Technical Intermittent non homing windsceen wipers

Currently reading:
Technical Intermittent non homing windsceen wipers

Tubby2

We've got an old 1998 Punto with erratic wipers. Before I tear the thing apart, has anyone got any pointers, ie is the homing electronic or via a homing arc contact? and is it actually possible to take it strip or should I just source another?

Any advice gratefully appreciated

Thanks

The Mk1 wiper motor is easy to remove, take apart and refit. My motor wasn't working on intermit or slow wipe. the tray that the wiper motor sits in can build up with water, if this gets into the wiper motor it can cause rust to build up with can lead to:

Loud noises during operation
No movement of wipers
limited movement of wipers
jurks of the wipers when in use
Differnt speeds i.e slow = fast and fast = slow

and mabey some others, the ones listed above are from my exp.

the motor it self is held in place with a few bolts 13mm i think, the motor itself is held together by an alum key thingy (Dont know what its called soz) and is also held together by 3 clips that again are held inplace by this alum key thingy.

it might be worth taking it apart your self and trying to lube it, but i found that this was a waste of time for me. a replacement for £60 came from "EuroCarParts" (New) easy swap.

Btw, if your going to take the motor out i would recommend diconecting the washer tube, as this might get in your way when you take the cover off.

MadMan0

Cheers for you post. It's got some of the other symptoms you describe ie jerky action and noisy. I'll pull it apart and see what I find, either way it's hardly the end of the world (Cos son's gonna pay for any parts!!) .. Yeah right!

I'll let you know how I get on after this week end.

Tubby2

Take care there are little floating brushes inside the gearbox that switch the motor on off for self parking etc - easily damaged.

Thanks for your posts. Tried a bit of retensioning the wipers and a general cleaning to no avail. Managed to source a good one complete with mech for £15 at a local breakers . Reeesult!!

Apparently the breakers I spoke to commented on the high turnover. Moral being keep the bulkhead drainholes clear of debris. Yes both were blocked!! Ahhh, hindsight.

Back