Technical Insufficient Power or else?

Currently reading:
Technical Insufficient Power or else?

vicegr

Hello People.

There's a problem with my b and i try to find a solution.

Sometimes when it's night and rainy i find myself having the following devices turned on:

Xenon lights
Foglights
Stereo
Wipers
Heater

In order to go home i have to make a left turn and slow down (brake) so i turn the sidelights on too.
In that moment the car stalls instantlly and it's about to turn off. this happens frequently when i have so many things turned on but not every time. i can't do anything to prevent it but to switch off the stereo and the heater for example.

what's wrong? battery? power generator? the HID system draws too much energy?

Last edited:
That lot shouldn't be running the electrical system anywhere near capacity. The only load from the heater is from the fan blowing the air over the matrix. HID's take a lot lower power than bulbs (70w as opposed to 110w from standard bulbs).

Car electrics are usually run from the battery charged by the alternator. If the electrics are taking more than the battery can provide then the battery warning light should come on showing a discharge on the system. Is your battery warning light coming on?

When the car cuts do all the electrics go..ie you are left in the dark or just the ignition? It sounds like a loose plug on the ECU or battery lead.

Last edited:
The electrics work but the engine stops. when it's about to happen the battery light turns on.

there were times that the battery light turned on but the engine stalled for a little and then it continued working...

If the battery light comes on when the engine is running than there is a charging issue. I'd suspect alternator problems. Check the charge rate across the battery terminals when the engine is running. It should be around 13.8V. Anything much lower or higer than that is probably a voltage regulator issue. You might also check that the big fuses beside the battery are seated ok and the sockets haven't rusted up...

Got a garage with an electrician handy to you?

thanks for the suggestions guys. i will try to check them tomorrow at my local garage.

i will inform you for any progress

Back