Styling Instrument cluster lights

Currently reading:
Styling Instrument cluster lights

BlueAngel

Does anyone know what the part number / spec / model number of the instrument cluster light bulbs are?

I would like to convert them to LED using bulbs I can buy online.

But I don't know which ones to get. As far as I can tell, they look closest to the B8 series, but which specific ones?

Any help in this regard would be highly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

I think the bulb type number depends on the manufacturer of the bulbs. For Philips, it's 12516. The general type is 'wedge base 1.2W' or 'W1.2W', diameter 4.6mm. Except for the no-charge warning light, which is usually a larger 'wedge base 3W' bulb.

Could you perhaps show us a link to the page that has the bulbs you're looking at, please? :)

-Alex

Hi, thanks for the welcome. Sorry for just diving into the topic like that, I wasn't sure how chatty this forum is, which is why I stuck to the topic at hand.

I wanted to post the link, but as it appears I have to post at least 5 times before I'm allowed to post a link.

I'll try and direct you to the page in question:

www dot superbrightleds dot com slash instrument dot html

I think they are 501 type wedge bulbs in the Mk2, however it might be worth using flexible LED strips mounted inside the instrument pod as the focus on LED bulbs dont usually focus in the right areas for that kind of backlighting.

I intend to try some I got off ebay in the near future.

These are the type I mean, they are available in all colours & can be curved round things & chopped to any length:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/24CM-12V-DC-W...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3caa2d21d3

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Thanks for the quick reply a73uk, I am planning to buy the B8.7D-x and B8.5D-x off the site I mentioned above, I am hoping one of them will work.

I want to change the cluster to black on white, using a silk screen process (I have vector graphics of the original Mk2 turbo dials) and I want to use UV LED lights - I have an idea that it will look fantastic at night.

@Ucof: The way I've done mine is a little bit better than that; I started with the same process, by using high res scans, but then using Illustrator I converted all the lines, numbers and graphics to vector graphics. The theory being that even printed @ 1200dpi it will look perfect. Once I have done my set I will make the source file available.

:ROFLMAO:

What g'wan

I don't know what "g'wan" means, but "geek" springs to mind! :D And 'old geek' too, as no-one under 25 is going to know about 'Asteroids' or, for that matter, 'Elite'. See, released-in-1979 makes 'Asteroids' even older than me... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asteroids_(video_game)

Anyway, congratulations on your 7000th post, Chas, and as entertaining as ever... :woot:

Meanwhile I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the finished dials. UV sounds a bit extreme but go for it anyway ;)

Original-equipment white dials (like in my Alfa 156) tend to be dark at night with only the digits lit, which is generally easier to read. I drove a 2003 Toyota Corolla once (in 2003, as a rental car) and Toyota seemed to have missed that idea - all their white dial backgrounds glowed bright white at night. I didn't find those easy to read at all, but maybe that's just me. Meanwhile in my Uno I've used colour-changing LEDs to illuminate my paddle switch icons (Mk1) so they cycle through red, green, blue, yellow-ish, cyan, purple, and white. I may therefore not be the best person to give advice on instrument panel lighting :eek:

-Alex

Last edited:
I don't know what "g'wan" means

Is a Lundun ting blud. ;)

(What G'waan = Wha gwaanin' = what's going on)

Mainly said by middle class white kids ;)

Chas, so what you are saying is that Asteroids > Bob Marley? :confused:
Not sure I agree with you on that one :p

Back