Injection Cleaner with extra "Umph" ...

Currently reading:
Injection Cleaner with extra "Umph" ...

I plan to add some injection cleaner through our cars next week and while looking for the cheapest Redex I stumbled accross this stuff that cleans but also claims to be a Cetane Booster as well.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230554675519

Anyone tried it?

Might give it a try myself, only want to clean the injectors but if it adds a little "Umph" as well so be it.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
increase Cetane rating by UP TO 2 POINTS for spending an aditional £8 on normal diesel would get you 100 litres of Shell V-power diesel. which is supposed to be 2 Cetane points higher.

with a normal bottle of redex diesel at £5 and £3 to add to your normal fuel bill you could still get 37 litres of V-power or some other high cetane diesel fuel so the question is, is it worth it?

increase Cetane rating by UP TO 2 POINTS for spending an aditional £8 on normal diesel would get you 100 litres of Shell V-power diesel. which is supposed to be 2 Cetane points higher.

with a normal bottle of redex diesel at £5 and £3 to add to your normal fuel bill you could still get 37 litres of V-power or some other high cetane diesel fuel so the question is, is it worth it?

I never use low Cetane supermarket diesel, always use a local BP garage(I save Nectar points) so the Cetane rating will be good anyway.

However, I plan to fill both cars up with an injector cleaner and 50 litres of BP Ultimate Diesel next week which has the highest Cetane rating of any premium fuel(I think) so this stuff should clean the injectors and boost the Cetane level higher than is available any pump.

normal BP fuel and supermarket diesel should be the same Cetane rating to meet a standard. then on top of this people like shell and BP do their expensive high Cetane fuels live v-power and ultimate.

if you look at the info for the redex with cetane booster, that quoted increase of "up to 2 cetane points" only applies to standard fuels and not fuels with an already boosted cetane rating

No its not worth it. Thanks for the heads up.

Just normal injection cleaner it is then .. (y)

Last edited:
Don't know if it's coincidence but every time I've used cleaner/additive in a car the engine has gone pop in the same month :confused:

Scudo 1.9 blew turbo seal and headgasket
Brava Threw a piston ring

I'm of the opinion that these additives are snake oil. Several studies have proved that most of them contain no more than paraffin. Been much discussion on a lot of forums. Bottom line here is profit. Loads of this stuff on the market.

Trouble with this sort of stuff you can't see it working. No doubt some will swear it & say it blew a lot of crap out the zorst etc. Even if the additive dislodges gunk in the fuel system it can block things up.

I've said it before, but looking up the myths about additives/snakeoil on the net will be interesting reading.

I'm of the opinion that these additives are snake oil. Several studies have proved that most of them contain no more than paraffin. Been much discussion on a lot of forums. Bottom line here is profit. Loads of this stuff on the market.

Trouble with this sort of stuff you can't see it working. No doubt some will swear it & say it blew a lot of crap out the zorst etc. Even if the additive dislodges gunk in the fuel system it can block things up.

I've said it before, but looking up the myths about additives/snakeoil on the net will be interesting reading.

if they was all crap why do oil companies now add it to oil and fuel before they sell it?

I've used redEx in various cars for years and never had any go 'pop' I never pay full price (wait till its on offer some where) and only do it maybe once or twice in the whole time I own any one car, though having now done a bit of reading I'm not sure I will bother again, as in tank additives are unlikely to have huge impact on any deposits

Last edited:
I've used redEx in various cars for years and never had any go 'pop' I never pay full price (wait till its on offer some where) and only do it maybe once or twice in the whole time I own any one car, though having now done a bit of reading I'm not sure I will bother again, as in tank additives are unlikely to have huge impact on any deposits

About the only place in the fuel system that additives can make a difference is the injector. A quality injector cleaner like Forte will help clean them and give a better spray pattern. Regular use isn't required, just use a good quality fuel after cleaning, BP, Shell etc ..

if they was all crap why do oil companies now add it to oil and fuel before they sell it?

Different matter adding the right stuff & the right quantities at this stage.

Most motorists tend to pop something in the tank thinking that they're basically doing a good thing, while at best no difference, but a bit lighter in the wallet.

Back