Tuning Induction Kits

Currently reading:
Tuning Induction Kits

kef

Hi There,

My Wife has a 1.2 8v Punto Active and its a trifle asthmatic. She seems to think that installing a K&N 57i induction kit would help it no end. Personally iim unsure as they really only make a difference on cars over 2.0. Anyone out there fitted one and noticed any difference??
Please let me know before i shell out the £65 for one.

Cheers

What's up with the car? Try just giving the throttle body a nice clean out

I dunno - it may be just me as i have never owned a car with such a small engine, but i dont half struggle where i live as its quite hilly but its a bit lifeless on the motorway too

thats a punto for you, i wouldn't go with a k&n if you are trying to make it nippier as they seem to go straight on the top of the engine, so you will just be sucking in lovely hot air and make it slower than it already is. go for an induction kit that redirects the filter to cold air. Go for something like gsr, bmc or you could even make your own if you're feeling brave :D

just fitted an induction myself, makes nice noise, thats for sure. no miracle cure for anything tho. it has helped keep the engine cooler and there does seem to be a slight improvement in acceleration, but that may just be placebo affect in terms of acceleration. a good service would prob have a better affect. change ht leads, sparks, air filter etc and give the throttle body a good clean. will prob notice much better improvements than u would with any induction kit.

thats a punto for you, i wouldn't go with a k&n if you are trying to make it nippier as they seem to go straight on the top of the engine, so you will just be sucking in lovely hot air and make it slower than it already is. go for an induction kit that redirects the filter to cold air. Go for something like gsr, bmc or you could even make your own if you're feeling brave :D
Cool - any links to any decent / reputable sites that sell what ou suggested bud??:slayer:

any "recommended" inductions for a 16v will be expensive. GSR are the best u gunna get really, but expect to pay ~ £170.
cheapest option is to buy an induction air filter for £15 off fleabay, remove the air box and fit the filter directly onto the original inlet pipe. i did this, but cut the pipe to change the direction of the filter so its not directly sat above the manifold. aint perfect, but still give u a nice noise etc.
DSC00241.JPG

The restriction caused by a clean air filter in a standard airbox is next to nothing. An engine tuned up with hot cams flowed head & throttle body may benefit from a freeflow filter, but a standard engine wont notice anything and could well be slower.

Give the car a proper service with new plugs and leads. Also change the coolant - so many have rubbish sludge in there.

Then allow the engine warm up dont be afraid to use the lower gears & let it rev.

The restriction caused by a clean air filter in a standard airbox is next to nothing. An engine tuned up with hot cams flowed head & throttle body may benefit from a freeflow filter, but a standard engine wont notice anything and could well be slower.

Give the car a proper service with new plugs and leads. Also change the coolant - so many have rubbish sludge in there.

Then allow the engine warm up dont be afraid to use the lower gears & let it rev.

Thank you but I've serviced the car already, its not really about the performance. I just love the sound of the induction kits on the car.

i have a mk2 8v induction kit in my garage from my ex gfs punto. if anyone wants it there welcom to have it :)

in theory, yes. wouldnt bother with the breather pipe filter or cold air feed tho. the small filter isnt gunna be as good, or reliable as having it fitted directly to the inlet pipe. its just another thing to get gunked up and fail. cold air feeds have time and time again been proved they do sweet fa. depends on where the induction routes the filter will depend how good the kit is.

Theirs no point then, can you guide me to the one you got ? if you don't mind that is. I wouldn't mind having the same set-up as you. I just really want the sound of the filter in my car lol.

Back