Technical Inadequate brakes (Tjet 150)

Currently reading:
Technical Inadequate brakes (Tjet 150)

Insomnia

'09 Bravo T-Jet 150 Sport
Interesting (or not) I've noticed that if I drive like a looney and then decide to stop on a 5p coin, the Bravo just won't stop sufficiently. So much so that the hazards came on once just before I nearly overshot a junction. It's like the braking system isn't man enough for the power.

Normal driving all is absolutely fine, but under extreme braking it feels like the grip isn't as good as it could be. Discs and pads look fine all round so makes me wonder if this is commonplace or whether I've got poor pads?

I might change both pads and discs soon anyhow for better than oem spec.

Hi , it's the same on my 165 t . I'm going to upgrade my pads and see if it makes a difference ,
To be honest the discs look too small , instead of painting the calipers fiat could of increased the size of the discs n pads .

I drive like a bit of a loon myself and often find myself clenching after almost plowing up the back of someone. Hasnt happened yet, i always seem to stop just before i crush the new XJ jag in front....

Hmm, sounds like commonplace issue then. Fortunately I usually drive like a Grandad so its not too much of an issue. Not overly reassuring though in case I do need to slam on the anchors suddenly! :eek:

I have the same issue with my t jet where the abs use to kick in early and the hazards use to flash, i put on Brembo pads and disc which made a reasonable difference. Then decided to put put on 4 new goodyear efficentgrip performance xl and has seem do have done the job. Brake performance has improved massively.

zimmerman drilled discs and omp sport pads
make sure the brake fluid is replaced too

the hazard lights indicate that you are stopping quickly

Personally I wouldn't touch drilled discs, but that's just a personal preference. I've had 3G grooved with EBC redstuff before on my Coupe and that combination worked a treat around Spa-Francorchamps and equally as effective on daily driving. Don't think I'd go that far with it though.

I did think when the hazards came on that it was clever - saves you the hassle of taking your hands off the steering wheel and putting them on :)

i have to ask.. why does the 120 -jet have slightly larger diameter discs but it has thinner disks(Diameter: 284, thickness (mm) : 22) vs the 150 t-jet (Diameter : 281, thickness (mm) : 26)

No, I think the hazards are linked to the Electronic Brake Assist. If the ECU senses that you are making an emergency stop but not braking as hard as you can, then the EBA applies the brakes to full effect, up to the point that the ABS cuts in and flashes the hazards as a warning to the cars around you.

I wish it could be deactivated though. It makes you look like an idiot during spirited driving or on the track.

I wish it could be deactivated though. It makes you look like an idiot during spirited driving or on the track.

I think its a really important safety feature.On the track of course its useless but how many of the people with a bravo will actually take it to the track. On the chaotic roads around here its saved me a couple of times. The reason, however, is that this car brakes extremely well. I have to disagree with your opinions here because, on more than one emergency situation, I find myself stopping much earlier than the car behind me, and for that reason the emergency flashlight becomes crucial. This feature is even standard on the abarths.

One factor which kind of makes this comparison almost impossible is that the tyres will play as big a role (or even bigger) in stopping the car than the brakes themselves i.e. your brakes might be just fine, but the tires just don't have enough traction.

I think its a really important safety feature.On the track of course its useless but how many of the people with a bravo will actually take it to the track. On the chaotic roads around here its saved me a couple of times. The reason, however, is that this car brakes extremely well. I have to disagree with your opinions here because, on more than one emergency situation, I find myself stopping much earlier than the car behind me, and for that reason the emergency flashlight becomes crucial. This feature is even standard on the abarths.

One factor which kind of makes this comparison almost impossible is that the tyres will play as big a role (or even bigger) in stopping the car than the brakes themselves i.e. your brakes might be just fine, but the tires just don't have enough traction.

I do find it is useful and welcome it's addition to cars (including mine), however I still think it should be possible to deactivate it through the menus (make it a little involved to deactivate, I don't mind) for the duration of the event and then automatically reactivate it when you start the car again.

I mean, come on, you can deactivate the traction and stability systems and the passenger airbag, why can't you deactivate this nagging thing? It is not an essential safety system and it distracts me when driving fast and hitting the brakes as much as I can before a corner.

Looks like mixed opinions. Regardless of tyre specification I do believe the braking performance is under par and this is based on disc/pads performance (on my car anyhow). Never experienced it on any other car but it feels like it lacks a killer bite (I'm not expecting VW's over servo'd through the windscreen level of braking, but a level of oompf would be nice).

So funds depending I'll look into options down the line. I'm toying with taking it so Spa in September and if it's going on track, I'll be overhauling the braking system for sure, but we'll see :)

Makesure you have the brakefluid regularly changed, every couple of years. Made a huge difference when I stripped the misses brakes on her bravo Tjet and cleaned them up. My mito has brembo's for the same engine and stops alot better mind! Let us know what aftermarket parts you use if you upgrade.

If you're doing Spa definitely get up rated pads and freshly bled system. I find that drilled discs help with cooling too, grooved discs help keep the pads deglazed but really wear the pads quickly are noisy and generate a lot of brake dust.
Looks like mixed opinions. Regardless of tyre specification I do believe the braking performance is under par and this is based on disc/pads performance (on my car anyhow). Never experienced it on any other car but it feels like it lacks a killer bite (I'm not expecting VW's over servo'd through the windscreen level of braking, but a level of oompf would be nice).

So funds depending I'll look into options down the line. I'm toying with taking it so Spa in September and if it's going on track, I'll be overhauling the braking system for sure, but we'll see :)

Finally got pads n discs for my car. Front inside of pads had worn at outer edge only! Minted pads and discs bought on eBay for only 60 quid, bargain! Made a biiiig difference

Back