Technical Im new but ive got problems!

Currently reading:
Technical Im new but ive got problems!

bear1

hi guys im Kevin and im new here so please be kind. Im a huge fan of Italian cars and have an Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD on my drive and a 1995 Fiat Tempra TD.
Now this Tempra is rather special has it has all elec! digital dash, elec windows, elec mirrors, elec sunroof, rear windshield wiper (never saw that on a saloon before) and digital control panel.
But with a car that has nearly 16 years under the bonnet some problems have risen:
1) the clutch pedal is stuck to the floor after Decembers cold snap so im guessing its either the slave cylinder or clutch master cylinder
2) the battery is dead but the cabin still has the normal lights before you try to start it
3) the car was a bit neglected when i bought it i.e. no service history and now before the clutch problem the car was extremely hesitant at certain revs, it would be ok with the boost sometimes and then all of a sudden the boost would drop to 0! the boost guage in the car starts off at the middle so 0.5 bar and then when you try to accelerate the boost would drop or would go straight to 1bar but no difference would be felt just that its slower, could it be the turbo is failing?
can anyone tell me what could be wrong with the car? many thanks

bump! no ideas? im at a complete loss as to what to it could be and what to order

Hi Kevin... if the car was neglected it could be a number of either related or unrelated things.

Start of with a very good full & thorough service.

Then check & clean all the electrical earths & try a new battery if you can borrow a known good one, all the better.

The clutch slave & master cylinders will need dismantling to assess their condition, personally I'd replace rather than fix after 16 years. Be careful what you take on for DIY though, sometimes its better to have some stuff done for you depending on your skills, tools & property to work on the vehicle. Give the brakes a bit of attention while you're at it.

For the acceleration issue it could be a blocked up EGR or damaged / leaking pipework to the turbo.

Maybe even blocked or worn injectors, blocked fuel filter, water in the diesel... It needs some serious care I say...

Last edited:
the work will be done by a mechanic i dont trust myself enough! :D
as for the egr valve, is there a way of removing it to clean it or blank it off?
the brakes ive changed already back in november and the air filter was changed aswell.
i need to change the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, those clutch parts, etc.
is there a way of checking for water in the diesel?
the turbo pipes are the ones above the engine bay i presume?
and where are the injectors located? and any way to see if they are blocked?

Last edited:
If u find the turbo's had it I have one sitting in my shed + a manifold + some other bits, even a o/s front wing. I used to love my tempra's I had 3, the best by far was the 1.9TD S/Wagon which used to fly and do about 44 mpg, much better bet than the 2.0 petrols. I have a stilo m/wagon JTD now.

haha thanks for the help! hopefully it aint the turbo! ive already had to replace the Alfa's turbo at the beginning of the year... not really in the mood for another one! im not sure how the turbo in the td tempra is but if its like the Alfa am i expecting loud whining, smoke and finally a big bang? or does the turbo in the fiat give other warnings?
im going to guess that the egr is knackered in this car cause the tempra's turbo makes a lovely whine which sounds perfectly normal to me. and when you put your foot down it did kick out a ton of smoke.
so where is the egr in the tempra? im thinking of removing it and giving it a good clean

then all of a sudden the boost would drop to 0! the boost guage in the car starts off at the middle so 0.5 bar and then when you try to accelerate the boost would drop or would go straight to 1bar but no difference would be felt just that its slower, could it be the turbo is failing?
can anyone tell me what could be wrong with the car? many thanks

Just a thought ... In the non turbo versions of this car the guage is used for an economy meter ... Could it be that the ECU is confused? You said it starts about halfway and drops off or raises from the middle ... Thats what the economy meter does, My turbo meter starts at 0 and rises accordingly.

Once I had the turbo looked at in the garage and is was serviced but after someone forgot to put the actuator back on ... Although the car was noticably faster on the motorway it was sluggish about town, Not sure if this helps but worth mentioning.

Back