Technical IHI VF38 turbo -- any thoughts?

Currently reading:
Technical IHI VF38 turbo -- any thoughts?

Anyone got any thoughts on these turbos as a possible replacement for the venerable GT15 used on the VAD kits?

They're titanium bodied, twin scroll and ball bearing. Said to scroll up extremely quickly (being ball bearing and twin scroll) and available for not a lot of money. Of course, you'd need to fabricate a new manifold, but............

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
There was a VA kit for sale on e-bay about 2 months ago that had an IHI turbo, the guy selling it said that was hte original supplied turbo from VA, so they definitly used them at one point, but no details on model type.

I have seen a comparison chart somewhere showing which IHI units are similar to Garrett items (in terms of size and mounting arrangements) I will try and track it down again.

you trally need to find the compresor map for it to make sure it is suitable

Thanks all!

From the peice TurboCinqy1250 found:

VF38
Twin scroll turbo with titanium turbine and shaft. Smaller compressor housing than VF36/VF37 provides tremendous spool up capabilities but less top end than VF36/37. The spool capabilities of this turbo are demonstrated on the JDM Legacy GT, which reaches peak torque at 2400RPM.

So, fiatdownunder, it is off a Legacy GT, albeit the JDM version. Looks like we're in business. But I won't go for this one (I'll try and find a compressor map -- try and find one for the GT15 first ;) -- plus I'm going to owe Fluffy a fair bit of loot at the end of the month), so, if anyone wants the one on eBay, go for it with my blessing (not that you need it)! ;)

It does have a lot going for it: all the non-heat sensitive parts are titanium, it's ball bearing, it's twin scroll, it's used on cooking Scoobies (albeit JDM ones). It's a touch OTT, but should spool up well enough to overcome lag.

Dims given on the site are:

Turbo Spec:
Compressor wheel : 43.4 / 56.1mm (Inducer / exducer)
Turbine wheel : 39.5 / 52.5 mm ( exducer / inducer)

Forgot to add that the Suzuki Swift lot seem to think very highly of this wee turbo.

Last edited:
One thing to bear in mind that a 1108 or 1242 is may not push enough AFM through itself to get the charger running effectively (to an area of appreciable boost).

Id say rather than comparing stats you should compare maps :D.

But youre giving me ideas now.....as Im looking for a big charger for the TC lump :D

Back