Technical Ignition coil pack

Currently reading:
Technical Ignition coil pack

sthomson23

Hey everyone, I'm looking to replace my ignition coil pack and I found a salvage part but it's a 1.4 engine and I have a 1.2. Could I still use it if it originally belong to a bigger engine? Sorry if this a stupid question......

I would never fit a salvage coil pack because you have no guaratee at all its not another failing item and a waste of money. If you have a specific good reason to change the coil pack you are probably better off gritting your teeth and getting a new one unless the seller is known to you and will accept a return if it doesnt work.

I would never fit a salvage coil pack because you have no guaratee at all its not another failing item and a waste of money. If you have a specific good reason to change the coil pack you are probably better off gritting your teeth and getting a new one unless the seller is known to you and will accept a return if it doesnt work.
Thanks for your reply, from that I will just get a new one to be on the safe side. I'm thinking of replacing because my car seems to jerk when decelerating.... Especially I'm in gears 3/4, I've read on other forums that it could be the cause. I've even done a OBD read and got no codes, so was just hoping it might be a quick fix.

Thanks for your reply, from that I will just get a new one to be on the safe side. I'm thinking of replacing because my car seems to jerk when decelerating.... Especially I'm in gears 3/4, I've read on other forums that it could be the cause. I've even done a OBD read and got no codes, so was just hoping it might be a quick fix.
I think its more likely the dog bone mounting. The coils seem reliable. If they fail its a misfire or EML in the dash, or poor running. I chnaged one on our 169 panda when the EML came on. It was fine up to 80mph and then always the light came on. It has cured this. We also had an error code for misfire. Misfiring is quite obvious and I think not your problem.
Try a new set of ignition leads first anyway. These are more prone to fail. They are also cheap.

Some cars have a throttle damper which slows the closure or the butterfly and if this plays up it causes jerkiness. A sticky throttle body might be a possible cause. Try cleaning the thottle body as this is just a can of clener and half an hours work.

If you are really intent on a coil I have one in stock which I bought from a member on here. He sold his car and took it off after a months use, still in the box which I will pass on at cost. It looks brand new. Im not in a hurry to sell it but suspect I will not need it for years. (Famous last words)

I think its more likely the dog bone mounting. The coils seem reliable. If they fail its a misfire or EML in the dash, or poor running. I chnaged one on our 169 panda when the EML came on. It was fine up to 80mph and then always the light came on. It has cured this. We also had an error code for misfire. Misfiring is quite obvious and I think not your problem.
Try a new set of ignition leads first anyway. These are more prone to fail. They are also cheap.

Some cars have a throttle damper which slows the closure or the butterfly and if this plays up it causes jerkiness. A sticky throttle body might be a possible cause. Try cleaning the thottle body as this is just a can of clener and half an hours work.

If you are really intent on a coil I have one in stock which I bought from a member on here. He sold his car and took it off after a months use, still in the box which I will pass on at cost. It looks brand new. Im not in a hurry to sell it but suspect I will not need it for years. (Famous last words)
Hi, thanks for the response, that is really helpful. I've had no lights come up on the dash so I assume there's no misfire for sure (at the moment 😂). I last change the leads a year ago which it has improved slightly, but I'll definitely look into cleaning the throttle body and the dog bone mounting. I'll report back to you. Thanks again for the response 👍

Back