Technical Idle clunking that dissappears when clutch is pressed

Currently reading:
Technical Idle clunking that dissappears when clutch is pressed

truss

As above on the girlfriends car, makes a nasty clunking/banging noise at idle, yet as soon as the clutch is pressed it sounds normal again.
sure it trnsmission related, but worried it may be the box.
Thanks

Clutch or gearbag... either way needs stripping down to see...

Im needing a bit of advice about my girlfriends car. its a 56 plate Grande punto sporting 1.9, shes ownded it a few months and shes had to replace a few bits already (top mount bearings, etc).
On a cold start, the car starts fine, but once it starts to idle, you can hear a loudish clunk type sound that is almost rythmic. it disappears if you rev the engine, and goes altogether once the car is warmed up a little.
Any ideas what this could be? ive never had a diesel car myself and wanted to know if this is something one of you has come accross before, before it goes to a garage and the throw parts at it!

Always best to post all the information on one thread. (y)

As it's a diesel, it could be the DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel) if fitted.

As Ffoxy says, it needs stripping to check. You need to do this ASAP before it causes further and very expensive damage.

Apologies, my girlfriend missed out on one vital part of info about the noise going when the clutch is pressed. (i havent heard it myself being away). I thought it best i just start again to avoid confusion.
Anyway, it turned out to be the flywheel, had a lot of movement and she had a new clutch too. £650 all in to be done which i think is decent for a dual mass flywheel. Thought this may be useful info for other GP owners!:)

Back