Technical How to do a wheel alignment

Currently reading:
Technical How to do a wheel alignment

Monacovjm

Hello, I just finished installing front disc brakes. After finishing I noticed that the alignment is off. Can anyone explain to me how to do a front wheel alignment on the 500? Thanks.

Hi
It’s quite simple but a bit of a science.
First of all you need to make sure that all track rod ens and steering linkages aren’t worn.
So this is how I do it.
Put car on ramp with front wheels on turn plates Apply Park brake and lock steering so it’s straight.
Now put laser on rear wheels facing to the gauges on the front and remember the readings example ( stand at back of car looking forward left wheel 6 and right wheel 8 so there’s a difference of 2 so remember the 2 ) now swap the gauges front to rear. Now set the tracking on the front wheels for example +2 now stand at the front and look back to the rear the rear gauges may have for example once again say 8 left and 4 on the right add the numbers together and you have 12 so now You half the number on each side to 6 and 6 and remember earlier the extra 2 so it’s 2 to the right so now readjust it you take 1 off the left making it 5 and add 1 on the right making it 7 tighten all you lock nuts and you car should steer nice and straight........... but this is how it’s done on modern cars

Hi
It’s quite simple but a bit of a science.
First of all you need to make sure that all track rod ens and steering linkages aren’t worn.
So this is how I do it.
Put car on ramp with front wheels on turn plates Apply Park brake and lock steering so it’s straight.
Now put laser on rear wheels facing to the gauges on the front and remember the readings example ( stand at back of car looking forward left wheel 6 and right wheel 8 so there’s a difference of 2 so remember the 2 ) now swap the gauges front to rear. Now set the tracking on the front wheels for example +2 now stand at the front and look back to the rear the rear gauges may have for example once again say 8 left and 4 on the right add the numbers together and you have 12 so now You half the number on each side to 6 and 6 and remember earlier the extra 2 so it’s 2 to the right so now readjust it you take 1 off the left making it 5 and add 1 on the right making it 7 tighten all you lock nuts and you car should steer nice and straight........... but this is how it’s done on modern cars

I hadn't reaised it was all so simple. :) :D

I am lucky in that I have a set of the old Dunlop tracking gauges which I am allowed to use. No matter what system you use to carry out the tracking, a VERY important detail is that the track-rods MUST remain identical in length. If they are not, the "Ackerman" effect is detrimentaly affected and you will end up with the front tyres squealing on bends.

4 axle stand.
1 piece of string.
1 Steel rule.

Make sure the car is laden before starting. The track rod end length is also an important part.

Back