Technical How to attach a new lock top of right hand sliding door Ducato 3L 2008 model

Currently reading:
Technical How to attach a new lock top of right hand sliding door Ducato 3L 2008 model

mark pegasus

.I adore my 3L Ducato ,.the sliding door is an issue.With help from the'Fiat Forum' I have located what I think is a replacement lock from a company in the UK via Poland. case My problem is how to attach the cable which runs out of the door to the new lock, Does it need a screw attachment bolt , hook ? any ideas
1704961302773.png
1704961302773.png

.I adore my 3L Ducato ,.the sliding door is an issue.With help from the'Fiat Forum' I have located what I think is a replacement lock from a company in the UK via Poland. case My problem is how to attach the cable which runs out of the door to the new lock, Does it need a screw attachment bolt , hook ? any ideas View attachment 436400View attachment 436400
I have fitted several of those, mostly on Iveco Daily work vans but some Ducatos, though in fairness not MHs as they tend to have more paneling etc.
Ideally if you can gain some access to the lower end of the actuating rod to keep it roughly in place it will be easier, however it should be possible with a little care to undo the bolts on your catch and unhook the rod then whilst keeping rod in place use your third hand to fit the new one in place.
You may find some long nose pliers can hold rod up whilst fitting new catch.
I have mentioned this before for other MH users on Forum if you can find the thread.
By the way any adjustment is done by the locating pin /bolt that the catch engages with as by slackening slightly it is in an eccentric hole.
Always assuming rest of door on sliders is correctly aligned and regularly lubricated with proper oil or grease not thin WD40 which lasts 5 seconds on that job.;)

I have fitted several of those, mostly on Iveco Daily work vans but some Ducatos, though in fairness not MHs as they tend to have more paneling etc.
Ideally if you can gain some access to the lower end of the actuating rod to keep it roughly in place it will be easier, however it should be possible with a little care to undo the bolts on your catch and unhook the rod then whilst keeping rod in place use your third hand to fit the new one in place.
You may find some long nose pliers can hold rod up whilst fitting new catch.
I have mentioned this before for other MH users on Forum if you can find the thread.
By the way any adjustment is done by the locating pin /bolt that the catch engages with as by slackening slightly it is in an eccentric hole.
Always assuming rest of door on sliders is correctly aligned and regularly lubricated with proper oil or grease not thin WD40 which lasts 5 seconds on that job.;)
thank you for your quick reply , i an seeking knowledge how to attach at the top of the door where the spring is , it has a plastic type of top or cap , like a rivet , how do i attach it ,
i hope you may know
best
mark

thank you for your quick reply , i an seeking knowledge how to attach at the top of the door where the spring is , it has a plastic type of top or cap , like a rivet , how do i attach it ,
i hope you may know
best
mark
I assumed that was where it was fitted, top back end of sliding door, usually held on by two 10mm head bolts and the pin it engages against is a 13mm I think. The rod should just hook onto that loop in the new catch in your photo. Work vans used to wear them out quite often so have fitted quite a few in the past of that design , though not on MHs
Maybe a photo will clarify. Mike

hi Mike , attached two photos , the replacement part and the old one on the door, I think i can find a way to make it work as long as I have some slack on the wire that runs back into the door.
cheers

Mark

Attachments

• 1699283636221.png
    1699283636221.png
    152.7 KB · Views: 22
  • P1040261.JPG
    P1040261.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 27
hi Mike , attached two photos , the replacement part and the old one on the door, I think i can find a way to make it work as long as I have some slack on the wire that runs back into the door.
cheers

Mark
Yes, it is the type I remember, so if you are lucky when bolts removed it may be possible to withdraw it a little and get hold of the rod so it doesn't swing out of the way, then rehook the new one in place.;)

Back