Technical How do I replace the evap solenoid valve?

Currently reading:
Technical How do I replace the evap solenoid valve?

Hi all! Been looking everywhere and cannot find a single video or any sort of diagram, or instructions on how to replace the evap solenoid valve.

Car is: (UK) Fiat 500 1.2L Petrol Pop 2016

Going to include some details that other posts do not have, as I think it might help others as I appreciate the help from other posts in this forum!

Car has codes:
P0101-62
P0106-27

Dealership has diagnosed issue to be the evap solenoid valve as the map sensor is covered in oil. Break light switch has been replaced, map sensor replaced and tailgate light wires are perfectly fine.

Evap solenoid valve (idle air supply control valve/fuel tank breather valve) part number is:

Does anyone have any instructions (written but ideally a video or photos) on how to replace the evap solenoid valve?

Thank you in advance! Happy new year!

Search on here found 5 threads 👍

Search on here found 5 threads 👍
As on the OP, I had a look at that thread and all of the threads on this forum that mentions this valve and codes, and none of the posts explains how it’s done with any detail.

I know there are two rubber rings to put around the valve but not sure where etc?

Not sure how the tubes come off the valves, is it a clip or pull off?

I can see there’s a metal clip holding the valve into the manifold, I think it’s just a squeeze in and pull out clip to let the valve come out? And then pull out the valve?

The valve, does it sit plugged into the manifold or is there a hose between the valve and manifold?

Can’t actually find a single video or any photos to visually describe how to replace this part. Would prefer to know enough before attempting to change the part basically, in case if something goes wrong.

Thank you. 👍

The evap valve sits in the inlet manifold ie there is no hose between inlet manifold and evap valve.

Usually if the is no fully pictured annotated guide to something it is because it is reasonably straight forward for someone used to doing repair tasks.

The main thing is do not use force that would break anything.

The electrical connector will have a lock on system so requires some kind of tab pushed or pulled or pressed before removing connector.

The blue pipe may also have a locking connection on to The evap valve.

You mentioned a retaining clip valve to manifold.

If you are gentle and used to using your hands and like working things out then give it a go. Then if you succeed you can post an exhaustive how to on the forum.

If you don't wish to try or get worried that something may break take it to a mechanic.

Best wishes
Jack

The evap valve sits in the inlet manifold ie there is no hose between inlet manifold and evap valve.

Usually if the is no fully pictured annotated guide to something it is because it is reasonably straight forward for someone used to doing repair tasks.

The main thing is do not use force that would break anything.

The electrical connector will have a lock on system so requires some kind of tab pushed or pulled or pressed before removing connector.

The blue pipe may also have a locking connection on to The evap valve.

You mentioned a retaining clip valve to manifold.

If you are gentle and used to using your hands and like working things out then give it a go. Then if you succeed you can post an exhaustive how to on the forum.

If you don't wish to try or get worried that something may break take it to a mechanic.

Best wishes
Jack
Thanks Jack! Very helpful, will give it go I think when the part arrives! :)

Ended up taking it to the garage and they changed out the evap solenoid valve.

Problem solved, car is back to normal! Hooray!

Hope this post helps someone else find the loose bits of information not found on the other posts or anywhere else online! :)
Hi I was just wondering what symptoms your Fiat 500 had?? I’ve got a one with the fault code p0101-62, it will drive ok however if coming to a stop the car sometimes throws a stop start light & eml and will cut out then going into limp mode. I thought it was the map sensor as it was covered in oil, however research seems to be the evap solenoid, going to replace both on Saturday

Hi I was just wondering what symptoms your Fiat 500 had?? I’ve got a one with the fault code p0101-62, it will drive ok however if coming to a stop the car sometimes throws a stop start light & eml and will cut out then going into limp mode. I thought it was the map sensor as it was covered in oil, however research seems to be the evap solenoid, going to replace both on Saturday
Hi,

Symptoms:
- Loud engine
- Loud exhaust noise
- A lot of oil on MAP sensor
- Engine cut out
- Christmas tree of lights on cluster
- Codes on diagnostic equipment as on my original post
- Limp mode
- Rough idle

My posts should say what exactly was changed, I’d suggest reading from top to bottom if you haven’t already.

Highly recommend changing the EVAP solenoid valve. Part number is on my original post, don’t think the part number is listed anywhere else as I had to get the part number from the dealership.

It’s been a while and the car is perfectly fine!

Make sure you very carefully clean the hole where the MAP sensor nipple sits in the intake manifold.

As far as I know, a bad EVAP solenoid can cause the oil build up on the MAP sensor and therefore cause the issues listed.

Good luck and hope you sort it - would be nice if you let everyone know what happens with your car too.

Hi,

Symptoms:
- Loud engine
- Loud exhaust noise
- A lot of oil on MAP sensor
- Engine cut out
- Christmas tree of lights on cluster
- Codes on diagnostic equipment as on my original post
- Limp mode
- Rough idle

My posts should say what exactly was changed, I’d suggest reading from top to bottom if you haven’t already.

Highly recommend changing the EVAP solenoid valve. Part number is on my original post, don’t think the part number is listed anywhere else as I had to get the part number from the dealership.

It’s been a while and the car is perfectly fine!

Make sure you very carefully clean the hole where the MAP sensor nipple sits in the intake manifold.

As far as I know, a bad EVAP solenoid can cause the oil build up on the MAP sensor and therefore cause the issues listed.

Good luck and hope you sort it - would be nice if you let everyone know what happens with your car too.
Thankyou for your reply, it’s my girlfriends mothers car and as a tech myself obviously now my responsibility 😂 however I’ve never come across this I work for Nissan never had this trouble. I personally thought it was a map sensor found it covered in oil so ordered a Bosch map sensor, but then was wondering how it was covered in oil.. couldn’t find a pcv valve didn’t even think of the evap solenoid until I seen this forum seems to be a common issue.. I’m going to change it on Saturday along with a new map sensor for good measure. Also her car has sludge build up in the breather pipe that runs off the airbox so I’ve bought some engine slush flush & doing an oil and filter change. Really want this sorted for her

Thankyou for your reply, it’s my girlfriends mothers car and as a tech myself obviously now my responsibility 😂 however I’ve never come across this I work for Nissan never had this trouble. I personally thought it was a map sensor found it covered in oil so ordered a Bosch map sensor, but then was wondering how it was covered in oil.. couldn’t find a pcv valve didn’t even think of the evap solenoid until I seen this forum seems to be a common issue.. I’m going to change it on Saturday along with a new map sensor for good measure. Also her car has sludge build up in the breather pipe that runs off the airbox so I’ve bought some engine slush flush & doing an oil and filter change. Really want this sorted for her
No problem haha! Funnily enough, not my Fiat either, it’s my partner’s car! Mazda, Japanese cars all the way for me! 😂

Yeah, seems common. We knew it would be the evap solenoid but struggled to find the part number so took it into the dealership and they confirmed it “could” be the evap solenoid.

I’d highly recommend changing it and seeing what happens, if it doesn’t help then look into the other bits that we changed/checked on my posts above as those are common and cause the same issue.

Not entirely sure about the sludge but perhaps that also points to the evap solenoid failing to open/close correctly?

Also - I’m sure you will but just in case, I’d say look on eBay for the part. Should be able to get it for £30 for an aftermarket part or a breaker car part. Otherwise, £100-£150 for a genuine one on eBay, or some nonsense £364 from a dealership.

Nonetheless, good luck and see you on the sunny side! 😅

No problem haha! Funnily enough, not my Fiat either, it’s my partner’s car! Mazda, Japanese cars all the way for me! 😂

Yeah, seems common. We knew it would be the evap solenoid but struggled to find the part number so took it into the dealership and they confirmed it “could” be the evap solenoid.

I’d highly recommend changing it and seeing what happens, if it doesn’t help then look into the other bits that we changed/checked on my posts above as those are common and cause the same issue.

Not entirely sure about the sludge but perhaps that also points to the evap solenoid failing to open/close correctly?

Also - I’m sure you will but just in case, I’d say look on eBay for the part. Should be able to get it for £30 for an aftermarket part or a breaker car part. Otherwise, £100-£150 for a genuine one on eBay, or some nonsense £364 from a dealership.

Nonetheless, good luck and see you on the sunny side! 😅
Hahaha! The japs know how to make a car, if only women choose cars based on reliability rather than being pretty we wouldn’t be on here😂 I noticed the part number being hard to find, just let parts adviser at work find it for me. I’ve got one ordered from fiat non genuine was £111 😬 so it better work! She does really short journeys I took it out on the motorway to try and burn some of it off, came back the radiator fan was on she says she’s never heard that before so that’s probably why their is sludge😂 hopefully it’s not to much of a task to change

Hahaha! The japs know how to make a car, if only women choose cars based on reliability rather than being pretty we wouldn’t be on here😂 I noticed the part number being hard to find, just let parts adviser at work find it for me. I’ve got one ordered from fiat non genuine was £111 😬 so it better work! She does really short journeys I took it out on the motorway to try and burn some of it off, came back the radiator fan was on she says she’s never heard that before so that’s probably why their is sludge😂 hopefully it’s not to much of a task to change
Aha that’s quite steep for non-genuine!!
We got quoted £1800 at first because they wanted to change the intake manifold along with the evap valve and map sensor.
Went elsewhere, we asked for the intake manifold to be cleaned and the other two parts were replaced - problem solved.

And wow, almost every Fiat is used for short journeys I bet! 😂

Good luck this Saturday!

Aha that’s quite steep for non-genuine!!
We got quoted £1800 at first because they wanted to change the intake manifold along with the evap valve and map sensor.
Went elsewhere, we asked for the intake manifold to be cleaned and the other two parts were replaced - problem solved.

And wow, almost every Fiat is used for short journeys I bet! 😂

Good luck this Saturday!
Had the car in today, replaced the map sensor and evap valve solenoid. Carried out a road test and faults appeared again!! Smoke tested the inlet manifold found no leaks, ended up blanking off the evap valve so it was permanently closed and it didn’t fault so maybe wiring issue in the connector on the evap leaving it open. Hopefully that has sorted the issue as I’m not to sure what else it can be.

Had the car in today, replaced the map sensor and evap valve solenoid. Carried out a road test and faults appeared again!! Smoke tested the inlet manifold found no leaks, ended up blanking off the evap valve so it was permanently closed and it didn’t fault so maybe wiring issue in the connector on the evap leaving it open. Hopefully that has sorted the issue as I’m not to sure what else it can be.
Oh dear, so it’s not fixed?
Tried checking for wiring issues on the boot lid tailgate wiring?
And changed the brake light switch?

Other than those, not really sure from my end. Hopefully some other members have some more ideas!

Oh dear, so it’s not fixed?
Tried checking for wiring issues on the boot lid tailgate wiring?
And changed the brake light switch?

Other than those, not really sure from my end. Hopefully some other members have some more ideas!
Well after blanking the evap solenoid out it drove around 10-15 mile without faulting so maybes that has sorted it. I’ve seen the brake light switch pop up a few times what’s the crack with that?

Well after blanking the evap solenoid out it drove around 10-15 mile without faulting so maybes that has sorted it. I’ve seen the brake light switch pop up a few times what’s the crack with that?

So as far as I’m aware… the brake light switch can become faulty and cause the lights to stay on or something… worth a search on this forum. But I recall reading it can cause electrical issues exactly as we have both described in our posts.

Fairly cheap part and easy to replace, definitely worth a shot. Either way, seems like it’s a part that seems to die off eventually so worth replacing I guess.

Similar thing with the tailgate light wiring on the boot lid. The wires fray from the boot lid being opened and closed. Worth pulling it out gently and checking for any fraying. We didn’t replace the wires as the wires seemed okay.

So as far as I’m aware… the brake light switch can become faulty and cause the lights to stay on or something… worth a search on this forum. But I recall reading it can cause electrical issues exactly as we have both described in our posts.

Fairly cheap part and easy to replace, definitely worth a shot. Either way, seems like it’s a part that seems to die off eventually so worth replacing I guess.
Ok great I’ll do a bit of research on that, thankyou for your help it’s much appreciated

Back