Technical How big is yours? (battery)

Currently reading:
Technical How big is yours? (battery)

I am in the unusual position of having the Punto (mk2 8v) and Belladonna Panda at home today. Codger Junior 1 has been using the Punto whilst his S13 Nissan 200SX has had an engine transplant. But now the transplant has been successful, and the engine hasn't rejected him, I brought faithful little Punto home.
For the last 2 weeks he has only been shunted in and out of a workshop, so when I went to get him last night his battery was dead flat. I put it on charge over night, and it was only when I put this battery on the bench, next to Belladonna's that I realised that the battery from the Panda is physically and in spec terms bigger than the one from the Punto. And the Punto has a little "box" for the battery to fit in, so I can't easily interchange them.
So that lead me to wonder, is Belladonna's battery bigger than standard? It is a 44aH, whereas the Punto's is only 38aH
What is "standard issue"?

panda has same battery as a punto 1.8 hgt, ive no idea why but might be why you can leave them for months at a time and they still start first go.

I always upgrade our puntos battery to the same, new box if 15 quid from dealers hgt. or a speedgear one also fits bigger battery.

Most of my Pandas have 40 - 45AH batteries, although the Haynes manual says 30AH is the original spec.
You can get 50-60AH batteries that are physically the same size, the last time I replaced a battery I bought a 50AH that was listed for a Fiat Bravo classic.

What the hell is going through a de-sulphation cycle on the charger
Have we too much time on our hands?
All my battery charger does is charge the battery.
Job done without all the techno speak.

Wishing you an eventful and prosperous end of week relaxation period.

Translated.. Have a good weekend!
Dave

No - I don't do anything other than plug it in! It is automatic. If the charger senses that the voltage is dropping too quickly it automatically goes in to a de-sulphation routine to recover the battery's capacity.
I am too busy following the F1 testing on Autosport.com and making the odd phone call!

I have a Bosch S4 in both Pandas :)

Attachments

• keyvisual_s4.jpg
    keyvisual_s4.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 29
hehe if i had the money i would change the battery on talon to a [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_iron_phosphate_battery"]Lithium iron phosphate battery[/ame].
back when i had the 1.5td corsa (that i spent 10 months welding and repairing only to be flipped off with the £4k to £10k insurance quotes i was getting) i upgraded the battery on that to 100Ah. i had to saw and re-weld the fuel filter bracket on but it was worth it!
after 4 months of standing it still started and ran.
i want to run an auxiliary battery in talon, but with a small 45amp alternator i think it will struggle. got my eye on a punto 1.2 8v alternator at 65amps.. would be more like it.

they're the cyclone / cylindrical batteries, are they not?
friend of mine has recently got a pair of them for his mk2 pajero (as it takes 2).

it starts under the first compression of the engine cycle. my corsa did once i fitted the 100ah battery to it.

Yep, gel type. Can be mounted in any position. Yellow top and red top.

Back