Hospital Trip

Currently reading:
Hospital Trip

chaos said:
Unless I'm mistaken, she is a diabetic herself, and is perfectly qualified to say what she did :)

I'm between the two here. Of course you can't let it take over your life and stop you doing the things you want to, but you have to take it seriously. Mess about and you might feel a bit off now, but blindness, kidney failure, heart disease and amputation twenty years down the line doesn't sound like fun to me either.

MATT 68 said:
So am i .(y)

well then u no there is no point in panicking about it.

Don't let it control ur life, yes there are things that can cause problems and when i had my appendix out last month I had to have the op delayed because of my blood sugar dropping to below 3, but u deal with it.

i am not saying don't take it seriously, my cousin had to have his leg amputated but that was because he didn't i do, but I won't let it rule my every thought.

I am diabetic but that is just one part me at the end of the day i am in control not the other way around.

Last edited:
charmed103 said:
yeah u can either have a controlled diet or tablets and even if u have to inject it's not so bad, as it's only a little prick:rolleyes::eek:

At the end of the day it's about control and ensuring that you don't let it rule ur life, it's only a small part of who anybody who has it is.

:yeahthat: i've got a couple of diabetic mates 1 who has to inject 1 dont, it dont control their lives, the 1 who dont said that its like kinda like being a girls on a diet :rolleyes:

(y) goodluck mate hope it goes alright (y)

Can even get diabetic chocolate now (y) My dad has it and controls it really easily by diet, just less cake.

MATT 68 said:
If you are diabetic you have to be carefull what you eat and drink. If you smoke you should give up.
I think you shouldn't have to be a diabetic to have to give up smoking... :)
H

There are two types of diabities type 1 & 2 the first i think is the worst injections and the like the other one can be controled by diet this is unfortunatly a DVLA notifiable issue hope you will be OK apple you havnt got to let it rule your life but just remember and make others aware that you are diabetic :(

PNL said:
There are two types of diabities type 1 & 2 the first i think is the worst injections and the like the other one can be controled by diet this is unfortunatly a DVLA notifiable issue hope you will be OK apple you havnt got to let it rule your life but just remember and make others aware that you are diabetic :(

spot on there mate....

type 1: aka infant onset / insulin dependant
usually occurs from birth or start from very early in age, requires insulin injections as the persons body doesnt naturally produce enough insulin to control blood sugar levels, AFAIK type 1 suffers are more likely to have trouble from hypo / hyper attacks.

type 2: adult onset / insluin dependant
obviously the opposite from type 1, can set in anywhere in life, but is usually down to diet than anythin else, if you comsume very very high ammounts of simple carbs / sugar as a kid, then it can mess your blood sugar levels up later in life resulting in diabetes.

type 2 is usually easier to controll by diet, but as with both types, a controlled sugar intake during the day can help keep blood sugar level and not spiking or troughing.

as has been said, fizzy drinks are a real nightmare as they contain an aweful lot of sugar for their volume, as does chocolate.....

basically apple mate... see wat the docs say and start doin some research, there are plenty of online papers / information sites that can help u controll it and not let it controll you. (y)

no smoking? Your not 'supposed' to smoke wit lots of things, eg being on the pill, being on antibiotics etc but it doesnt really make much difference as far as i am aware (...:confused: )

mase said:
type 2: adult onset / insluin dependant
They've moved away from calling this "Adult onset diabetes" in recent years, because a common cause is obesity, and a large number of children have been getting diabetes due to obesity.
H

hmallett said:
They've moved away from calling this "Adult onset diabetes" in recent years, because a common cause is obesity, and a large number of children have been getting diabetes due to obesity.
H

ahhh, fair point.... (y)

to be honest i havent done an research into it for some time now, had a client who was diabetic in 2004, and did about it in college, but that was about it.

JjPhoenix said:
no smoking? Your not 'supposed' to smoke wit lots of things, eg being on the pill, being on antibiotics etc but it doesnt really make much difference as far as i am aware (...:confused: )

And JJPhoenix overrules decades of scientific study with one statement. I am sure it doesn't cause lung cancer or affect heart disease or other cancers, they were making it all up :rolleyes:

Helz said:
And JJPhoenix overrules decades of scientific study with one statement. I am sure it doesn't cause lung cancer or affect heart disease or other cancers, they were making it all up :rolleyes:

no that wasnt what i meant at all ( :nono: smokers :rolleyes: ) yeah their cancer sticks but what i meant was that they advice you to give up smoking if u've got diabeties but i dont THINK:confused: that there is any extra added risks from if u smoke and u do/dont have it... so ur chances of getting just about every cancer under the sun are just as great smoking with or wthout diabeties?

EDIT:"Don't smoke or sit cross-legged. Both decrease blood supply to your feet." what I actually meant was, does smoking make a significent difference or a minor difference? (if any1 knos)?

Last edited:
Re- smoking with diabetes.
Smoking causes poor circulation which can be a major problem for some diabetics, the result of which can be amputation!
So what would you do then? take the chance and lose your leg later in life? or heed good medical advice?:hm:

MATT 68 said:
Smoking causes poor circulation which can be a major problem for some diabetics, the result of which can be amputation!
So what would you do then? take the chance and lose your leg later in life? or heed good medical advice?:hm:

AKA diabetic foot.

if anyone has any doubts of how nasty this can be type diabetic foot into google images, just make sure u havent eaten first :yuck:

MATT 68 said:

thats what the :confused: was for cause i didnt kno if there was an xtra added risk!
Why is poor circulaton associated wit diabetics? (just out of interest?)

mase said:
AKA diabetic foot.

if anyone has any doubts of how nasty this can be type diabetic foot into google images, just make sure u havent eaten first :yuck:

Enough said, i think!
Thanks mase. If that dont get people to get checked out nothing will(y)

Hiya everyone!

Well this is the first time i have had a chance to write a reply.

Basically the hospital decided to keep me in overnight as a safety issue, my blood sugar rose once agin to a peak of 30.5 whilst i was in there so i was kept in.

I have contracted type 1 diabetes and i am on 5 insulin injections a day. :(

One is just one injection taken at a specific time, once a day, every day.

The other is 4 smaller dosage injections taken 4 times a day 5 mins before eating a meal. It is not pretty stuff, i have to take my blood at regular intervals throughout the day, and i have already ''hypoed'' twice in hospital (not enough sugar, so in very early stages of diabetic coma)

Luckily i had prepared myself mentally for it, so when the news was given to me i wasnt shocked, an the doctors were quite suprised but encouraged by my attitude.

I have had over 15 blood tests so that makes more pricks than liberace :D and have been on a drip all night as well.

I have to carry my needles with me most of the time so anyone dont b freaked out of i am injectin myself in front of you ;)

Thanks to those who PM'ed asking how i was, i would have replied but felt an answer to everyone would be more beneficial.

Unfortuneatly due to contracting diabetes i have had my liscence suspended technically by the DVLA until all my initial diabetes checks are carried out, which will take a number of weeks, so the squitch is off road at the minute, but will return :D

Back