Technical High oil consuption => difficulties starting?

Currently reading:
Technical High oil consuption => difficulties starting?

allank

Is it possible that high oil consuption might result in problems starting when the engine is cold?

My Punto 75 SX is consuming a fair amount of oil but I've kept in within reasonable levels by mixing some additive into the oil. I, however, added almost 1½ litres of fresh oil into the engine last friday and the engine started to smoke a lot more and it has been difficult to start since that.

Is this a coincident or can there be a connection? I have to run the starter for a long time, the engine fires up, misfires and dies again. I start it up again, same procedure a couple of times until it stays on. I changed the coils, spark plug cables and lambda this summer.

Yeah sounds like headgasket failure with the high oil consumption and struggling to start possibly due to low compression!

Maybee it's the HG, but...

If you're puffing oil out the back though I'd suggest that one or more of the valve stem seals is leaking, allowing oil into the combustion chamber OR you have a broken piston ring (allowing oil to get past the rings).

In the latter case you may have lost compression which won't help.. but in either case, will have oil in the combustion chamber which reduces the flashpoint of the petrol and can also be oiling up the plugs.

Take each plug out in turn and have a look. See if you can spot one much oilier than the others.

A compression test will tell you if the rings are shot. A peak at the rockers may show you any ripped stem seals.

Ralf S.

The previous owner has apparantly had the HG-seal replaced. The engine looks a bit oily but it seems to be consuming oil only when the oil gets older (after 3000-4000 km).

The smoke that comes out is white, and it seems to smoke more when I put in reverse, eventhough I don't understand how that is possible.

I'll have a look at the spark-plugs someday, I tried to loosen them but they where so tightly screwed that I couldn't get them out. I need to find a 1 meter long steel-rod somewhere :)

Back