Hi just bought Panda 2011 51k Happy but small niggles help appreciated

Currently reading:
Hi just bought Panda 2011 51k Happy but small niggles help appreciated

Happy Chap

My 98 Micra which I owned for 11 years just failed MOT so just next door was this Panda so I bought it.

So first problem was cambelt, this was easily solved by my soon to be son in law (because of Covid I barely knew the guy). It turns out he used to work at a Fiat dealer so problem relatively solved. I also changed air filter plus oil and filter and plugs.

However after buying the car which had half a tank the Fuel Gauge light is blinking and remains blinking even after filling up. I have scoured the web plus the forum but guess it is the sender unit? I will try the disconnect the battery see if that has any effect. I have bought a used pump unit, but I guess I need the o ring gasket seems rather expensive?

No remote central locking!!! my 98 Micra had that anyway have bought cheap ebay kit so hope to solve that, any wiring information woukd be helpful, how to get a positive feed through the bulkhead or from ignition?

Car came with original wheel trims old and a bit tatty replaced them, but 13 inch wheels also a bit tatty. I have some ex MX5 wheels vgc pcd 100 instead of 98 have to work out the et but would prefer 185 x 60 x R14 to 155.
I would really prefer original Fiat alloys I have been searching but no luck.

I am a pensioner and obviously stuff like this never existed when I was young I really appreciate the advice and support these forums give, any advice or support welcome

My 98 Micra which I owned for 11 years just failed MOT so just next door was this Panda so I bought it.

So first problem was cambelt, this was easily solved by my soon to be son in law (because of Covid I barely knew the guy). It turns out he used to work at a Fiat dealer so problem relatively solved. I also changed air filter plus oil and filter and plugs.

However after buying the car which had half a tank the Fuel Gauge light is blinking and remains blinking even after filling up. I have scoured the web plus the forum but guess it is the sender unit? I will try the disconnect the battery see if that has any effect. I have bought a used pump unit, but I guess I need the o ring gasket seems rather expensive?

No remote central locking!!! my 98 Micra had that anyway have bought cheap ebay kit so hope to solve that, any wiring information woukd be helpful, how to get a positive feed through the bulkhead or from ignition?

Car came with original wheel trims old and a bit tatty replaced them, but 13 inch wheels also a bit tatty. I have some ex MX5 wheels vgc pcd 100 instead of 98 have to work out the et but would prefer 185 x 60 x R14 to 155.
I would really prefer original Fiat alloys I have been searching but no luck.

I am a pensioner and obviously stuff like this never existed when I was young I really appreciate the advice and support these forums give, any advice or support welcome
Before you fit the new tank sender unit, just plug it into the wiring socket turn ignition on and check if moving the replacement sender around gives a fuel gauge reading. If it is like my old Doblo van there is a large plastic ring/nut that hold it down onto fuel tank, they can be very tight to undo and a bit fiddly to locate the ring when refitting, I think I reused my old rubber ring, though it may be possible to buy a new ring/nut and O ring gasket from motor factors. I used a special tool to turn the Ring / nut securing sender / pump unit to tank.
Bit concerned re what you were saying about 100 PCD and 98PCD wheels, make sure it is safe and no fouling etc.

Before you fit the new tank sender unit, just plug it into the wiring socket turn ignition on and check if moving the replacement sender around gives a fuel gauge reading. If it is like my old Doblo van there is a large plastic ring/nut that hold it down onto fuel tank, they can be very tight to undo and a bit fiddly to locate the ring when refitting, I think I reused my old rubber ring, though it may be possible to buy a new ring/nut and O ring gasket from motor factors. I used a special tool to turn the Ring / nut securing sender / pump unit to tank.
Bit concerned re what you were saying about 100 PCD and 98PCD wheels, make sure it is safe and no fouling etc.
Wow thank you so much exactly the response I was hoping for excellent idea I will try that out and let you know.
Yes tonight have bought some Fiat alloys bit scruffy but as I say am pensioner so a nice little project and I definitely think the more rubber you have in contact with the road
Anyway Mike thanks

Back