Technical HGT starting problem

Currently reading:
Technical HGT starting problem

PuntoSportingJim

Hi there, I've recently been handed down my step dads 2003 Punto HGT which seems to run great most of the time (when warm), only there is one issue upon startup. When you turn the engine over first thing in the morning it takes a few cranks then bursts into life, theres the initial blip of revs just over 1500rpm it then drops off below 1000 and either dies or the engine automatically picks it back up to over 1500 and then proceeds to drop up and down like this for a while until the engine has started to warm or just decides to die again. If i try and pull away before the engine has warmed up the car is very jerky at lower revs so i have to rev it excessively to get anywhere and then as soon as i let off the throttle at a junction and it goes to idle it will cut out again.

Like i said, once the engine is fully warmed its not an issue and i believe its been like this for a long time and my step dad has just put up with it but i like to jump in the car and get going straight away. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

Had a bit of a better browse through the forums like i should of done in the first place. I removed the TB and gave it a good old clean and also cleaned up the MAF sensor but still seem to be having the same problem. Any other suggestions? Is it worth trying the clean any of the other sensors such as the lambda? Thanks

Back