Technical **Help with seals**

Currently reading:
Technical **Help with seals**

Spudder

Hi, iv attached photos of seals I need advice on. They came in the head gasket kit. Iv replaced the 4 o rings underside of rocker cover, and intake manifold seals, but WHAT are these 4 loose ones for. Do I need them. (The cam is not coming out) where do they go? Can't see anything iv taken off that they could go on. Thanks
DSC_3923.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_3924.JPG
    DSC_3924.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 24
  • DSC_3925.JPG
    DSC_3925.JPG
    940.5 KB · Views: 26
Speculation, one could be the VVT solenoid and one the thermostat. I remember my dad fixing cars. He ALWAYS had a handful of things left over at the end, but it always went! I would put them away for future reference. May be other applications of the same engine require them?

Speculation, one could be the VVT solenoid and one the thermostat. I remember my dad fixing cars. He ALWAYS had a handful of things left over at the end, but it always went! I would put them away for future reference. May be other applications of the same engine require them?
Yeah maybe. This is the 8v. Maybe the 16v uses extra? I'm really not sure but can't see anywhere else they'd go. The water pump is self seal with silicone gasket so none are that....

Yeah maybe. This is the 8v. Maybe the 16v uses extra? I'm really not sure but can't see anywhere else they'd go. The water pump is self seal with silicone gasket so none are that....
thermostat seals are in fact o rings on some types of stat. They seem to retain the shape once used so appear shaped.

thermostat seals are in fact o rings on some types of stat. They seem to retain the shape once used so appear shaped.
Yeah, the thermo hasn't been taken off the head, it seems self sealed at the mo and not leaking so will leave it be. Can see silicone squished out around it so definitely wasn't a factory made seal. Never mind. If I can't see where they've come from it must be for parts that I'm not taking off.

Guess:
1. Irregular shape is probably thermostat body seal.
2. Green one goes under throttle body, possibly.
3. Other 2 o-rings are for EVAP solenoid valve, maybe.

Back