500L Help with purchase fault

Currently reading:
500L Help with purchase fault

awainwright194

Hi just a question rearl we bought a fiat 500l 63 plate 1.6 multijet it had a fault the air bag module as told the car garage and they said it would be sorted before we collect so we gave them a week collected car but the fault was still there its been back to the garage for the auto electrition to fix every time they have given us an excuse why its not been fixed im going to go back on tuesday am i within my writes to request a refond to covet the cost of fixing my fiat or ambi stuck with the problem

Hi just a question rearl we bought a fiat 500l 63 plate 1.6 multijet it had a fault the air bag module as told the car garage and they said it would be sorted before we collect so we gave them a week collected car but the fault was still there its been back to the garage for the auto electrition to fix every time they have given us an excuse why its not been fixed im going to go back on tuesday am i within my writes to request a refond to covet the cost of fixing my fiat or ambi stuck with the problem

Hi,🙂

it depends on the type of seller,
the time you have owned it.
And potentially how you paid for it

Do tell us more 👍
Paid px deposit on card and rest in cash got the car 2 weeks before xmas ghost motors cleckheaton west yorks they seem to have good reviews

As far as i know you have the right to reject the car in the first 30 days this is called the short term right to reject! and from what you say this deadline has already passed so we move on to whats known as the final right to reject which i believe allows the dealer 1 chance to fix the problem if they fail you can reject it as unfit for purpose and the dealer should re-fund you! however its not as simple as that as the dealer can claim a "reduction in value" based on mileage covered and time elapsed so you will only get a percentage of the full price you paid back! you will probably have to negotiate this with the dealer! if you cant agree then it would have to go to court for a judge to decide the outcome!
If however over six months has passed then you are still allow to pursue a rejection but the odds are now in the dealers favour as it down to you to PROVE the fault was present when you first purchased the car! which can be difficult if not impossible!.
What ever happens keep clear records of who said /did what and when! insist all conversations are in written or e- mail form and keep carefull records of events in case you need them for court etc!
hope this ends well for you!

An airbag light on means the airbags will not operate in a collision. The light on at MOT time would be a certain fail.
Any dealer has a duty to ensure that they sell cars that are safe and legal, which yours is not, so take it back, they either fix it, or give a full refund.
Any doubts, have a chat with your local trading standards office at the council.

Back