Technical Help with grinding noise

Currently reading:
Technical Help with grinding noise

Mar4ix

Punto mk1 , 1.2 , 8v. i have reassembled gearbox, changed differential bearings, main shaft bearings and oil seal.
I was using different differential, from another gearbox.

Now when i am drving, grinding noise coming out as a hell. , cant even tell from which side.

There is no noise coming while parked, engine working, all fine, also when press clutch and releasing clutch.

When start driving, noise start, and rise, and it keep on, when put in neutral, and moving by inertia, grinding noise still on.

What would coursed grinding noise ?

Thanks

Loose bolt came out from the clutch? Dodgy release bearing? Going from past experiences :(
I just fitted clutch , bolt couldnt come loose so quick. I noticed also on my old differential main gear (big one), there is number 3 , but on other, which i fitted, has number 9. Would be problem in using incorrect differential ?

Last edited:
What if you push the car on level ground without a gear selected? Would help identify if it's the meshing of the cogs in the box or something like the differential as you've suggested

What if you push the car on level ground without a gear selected? Would help identify if it's the meshing of the cogs in the box or something like the differential as you've suggested

A bit longer story.

when i was changing diff bearings, i removed both driveshaft cups, and two gears inside fall out. I manage put them back, but thinking might them stay in slightly wrong position, and making this grinding noise..... ehh.

Cant check now , as took diff off gearbox.

Not fancy take gearbox off. :(

there is no grinding sound, when put in gears without differential. so it was not caused by clutch.

Would be grinding noise caused by loose central bolt in hub ? i forgot tight up before drive .

you know its an internal gearbox problem though dont you
you just wont admit it
over here we would wang it and source another

Well. i wrote that without differential, there is no noise coming from gearbox.
I am suspecting differential, .... or that damm central bolt, which i didnt tight up, i discovered it when i was taking off differential. i will put another differential(as i have spare gearbox), and see. if any changes.

Back