500 help with "DPF regeneration"

Currently reading:
500 help with "DPF regeneration"

redpanther

i have a problem intermitant with the filter or cat just not sure???? if anyone else experiencing this problem engine light comes on saying 'check engine' but got breakdown out and said it was just saying this has clogged so drive really fast and should clear does for a few days then problem comes back, any help appreciated

i have a problem intermitant with the filter or cat just not sure???? if anyone else experiencing this problem engine light comes on saying 'check engine' but got breakdown out and said it was just saying this has clogged so drive really fast and should clear does for a few days then problem comes back, any help appreciated

You need to drive at motorway speeds for a decent amount of time to allow the regeneration to fully complete.
:yeahthat:

Attachments

• DPF regeneration process.jpg
    DPF regeneration process.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 589
Take this as a message your car is telling you the driving you do is not suited to a diesel car. They need to be driven over a long distance regularly at motorway speeds to keep the filter regeneration happy.

If you know you're not going to be doing this sort of driving I'd seriously consider changing to a petrol 500 otherwise you're going to encounter some expensive bills.

I'd agree completely with the sentiments expressed regarding modern diesels with DPF's/EGR's.

I believe drivers of modern diesel engines do need to ensure they do fairly regular decent motorway or dual carriageway runs to allow regens to take place. I'm not sure that diesels bought for mainly town use driving are entirely suited for the purpose. One just has to read numerous car forum threads on this very subject where diesel owners who never see a motorway from one blue moon to the next, appear to suffer problems.

If you keep having problems, you can take it to the dealer for a diagnostic forced regen, but I suspect they will charge! Find your nearest motorway and boot it for a couple of hours! :D

I'd agree completely with the sentiments expressed regarding modern diesels with DPF's/EGR's.

I believe drivers of modern diesel engines do need to ensure they do fairly regular decent motorway or dual carriageway runs to allow regens to take place. I'm not sure that diesels bought for mainly town use driving are entirely suited for the purpose. One just has to read numerous car forum threads on this very subject where diesel owners who never see a motorway from one blue moon to the next, appear to suffer problems.

If you keep having problems, you can take it to the dealer for a diagnostic forced regen, but I suspect they will charge! Find your nearest motorway and boot it for a couple of hours! :D

Some are just 'going up the motorway' for a little jaunt to bring on the DPF regeneration - once it starts it takes about 15 minutes on average and you only have to be doing over 2000 RPM. Haven't got this issue with OH's MJ. For those who are travelling around the town there's a shift towards small fuel efficient petrol engines. Noticed on the BIF allowances in the UK that there's a levy on diesel engines. Expect that here something similar is going to happen where a 520D has the same road tax as a 500 1.2.:confused:

There was always a 3% charge on diesel on bik, road tax on a 520d is likely to be something daft like £30, the new 116d is £0

I have to do this in my Audi every now and then, usually when I've only been driving to work and back in traffic for a couple of weeks.

All I do is go to a bypass near me, 4th gear, 60mph for around 10 mins and the light goes out.

Try not to leave it on too long, when I first got the car I left it for a few days and the filter ended up in need of replacing!

Thanks for the help but have done all what your saying, must admit gets a lot of different driving as used as a teaching car, lots of stalling ect thought it would be better than a petrol DOH

or if your near Castleford tonight York tomorrow a could put it on diagnostic machine for you and do a forced regeneration for you stop the boardum of the hotels lol p.s the 500 neads to be in regen mode for the above to work this is were the car puts its self on to half injection to increase the temps

Back