General Help Please - SEi won't start

Currently reading:
General Help Please - SEi won't start

Gravity

Ay Oop!!
Friday the 13th strikes :(

Other half was thankfully less than a mile from home and noticed the code light came on. She pulled over and stopped the engine, then tried to start up again, no joy.

Car was towed home and I have just had a nosy at it. When the ignition is turned on the code light is on and all you can hear is a noise that appears to be coming from a white box next to the ecu housing. The engine won't turn over either.

Any ideas what may be causing this?

Oh yeah, 2000 plate Sei Sporting btw :)

Is it easy to get sorted and any ideas as to how much this'll cost?

Buggery :bang:

I've circled on the pic what I believe the noise is coming from, it's a fast, dull clicking sound.

Attachments

• DSC00083prob.JPG
    DSC00083prob.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Try jump starting it.

If it starts it's likely that the battery has simply died.

If not, it's possible either that the alternator has seized (try removing the alternator belt and jumping it) or that the battery or engine earths are not connecting properly (try starting with the bonnet open in the dark-- look for blue flashes).

hi ensure battery voltage is 12volts if ok remove negative terminal on battery check condition clean and refit then try conecting a jump lead between the earth on battery and engine, it does sound like a poor conection or a broken earth lead, hope this helps.

It looks like you have an aftermarket alarm fitted there? do you?

Same thing hapenned on g/f's cinq, it turned out the earthing point for the alarm system had become detatched.

All we got was a loud ticking from "the white box" on this occassion, so if you do have an aftermarket alarm check its all wired in properly.

In the end I gave up trying to figure out where the prob could be, partially due to things like not having axle stands so I could look under the car (crazy idea huh?!? :p ) and also the losing of skin and blood looking everywhere else.

Took it down to Simon Dean's just outside of Hanley and they found the broken earth near/on the gearbox, cost a bit more than a DIY job but it saves on further blood loss/tantrums :D

Everything seems ok so far, so work permitting I'll hopefully pop down for the Stoke meet.

Thanks for the help guys :hug:

Back