Technical Help needed, mk1 Punto wont start

Currently reading:
Technical Help needed, mk1 Punto wont start

Cpt Chronic

Hi

I got in my Punto yesterday and it had no power when i started it up, this eventually got a little better so i decided to risk it and go on my way. Bad mistake, it got worse and worse and lost all power before it cut out and would not start again. The starter motor is trying but the cogs arent turning when i turn the key. If i get a spanner on the top cog it does turn easily and turns the rest of them too, ive spoken to a mate and he says its not ceased as i can turn the cogs and to try bumping it as it does jump forward when i try start it in gear. I ended up getting towed home and decided to try bumping it while we were going. It didnt work but made a strange noise that i can only discribe like a machine gun but not half as loud. :confused:

Im really stuck with this so any help at all is much appreciated

Zac

Sounds like the belt has jumped. Or possibly the key may have broke on one of the pulleys.

Check the timing marks on the pulleys and do a compression test. If it has slipped then if it is 1.1 or 1.2 8v then it wont have damaged the engine, if its the 1.2 16v, the 1.6 or the 1.4 turbo then it will have damaged the engine.

Maybe it's the head gasket blown. Check coolant level to see if you've lost loads of water.

Have a look at the plugs, are they all the same colour at the tips? (should be light brownish).

Have any repairs been done recently?

red.

Thanks for the replys :)

I thought it might be the timing as oil leaks over the cam belt and makes it squeak when i top the oil up, so i suppose that could have made it slip. Should the belts not start to spin as soon as i turn the key though? The starter motor tries as usual but sounds different.. thought it may have been that but it wouldnt bumpstart either :cry: I guess it would be unusual for the starter motor to go and in turn nock the timing out?

I dont have a compression tester but its looking like im going to have to buy one.. hopefully there not expensive

Luckily it is a 1.2 8v, getting a 1.4GT engine put in soon, so glad it didnt happen with that engine :)

By Key on the pulley do you mean teeth? :confused:

My mate told me that the headgasket blowing would leave white stuff under the oil cap, i had a check and there is none thankfully. I do have a really bad water leak that happened in the cold weather we had, my pipes froze and i didnt think to check and started driving until it overheated. It totally screwed my waterpump which i replaced and the metal pipe that joins to the back of the water pump and the water hose, it must have a crack or something, it gushes out water everytime i fill it up, have to do it everytime i go for a drive! Im hopeing i can just replace the metal pipe, theres only one bolt so im hopeing its an easy job :eek:

Ill check the plugs and timing tomorrow tho, thanks for the tip.. I fitted new sparkplugs, waterpump and timing belt a couple of months ago

EDIT: I also tried to change the oil filter but the old one is stuck solid

Last edited:
Thanks for your help! :p

Its not like i just left it and didnt try to fix, i tried everything until i worked out i might be able to swap the pipe the other day!.. still not 100% on wether or not it can be done yet and im not made of money so no mechanic for mee!

Back