Technical Help - Dealer cost to change glow plugs

Currently reading:
Technical Help - Dealer cost to change glow plugs

Thanks again for all the replies.
Can anyone confirm that the 'check glow plugs' warning is an actively monitored state? i.e. once the failing glow plug is replaced, the flashing light and message go away? Don't want to have to crawl back to a dealer to get the light reset :eek:

Thanks again for all the replies.
Can anyone confirm that the 'check glow plugs' warning is an actively monitored state? i.e. once the failing glow plug is replaced, the flashing light and message go away? Don't want to have to crawl back to a dealer to get the light reset :eek:

All monitored, 3 clear runs and the light should extinguish (if not immediatly).

Now contacted a local independent garage who quoted £120 to supply and fit 4 new plugs.
They have had to order them in too, but should get them Friday or Saturday, so taking down once they have arrived.
So thats £245 down to £120. Not sure what the plugs cost, but somewhere between £25 - £50 seems the going rate and the garage reckons its a little over 1 hours labour to change them.
Just hope the dealer was right and it is a plug failure only! All running sweet, even in the cold weather. Starts on the button.

Last edited:
I fail to see how a good independent garage wouldn't be able to do the job satisfactorily? Why would a main dealer be the best people to do the job? There are plenty of indie's about who are very capable of carrying out even the most complex of work.

Seems to me that forking out £245 to a main dealer when an indie can do it for £120, would be just chucking your money away.

I fail to see how a good independent garage wouldn't be able to do the job satisfactorily? Why would a main dealer be the best people to do the job? There are plenty of indie's about who are very capable of carrying out even the most complex of work.

Seems to me that forking out £245 to a main dealer when an indie can do it for £120, would be just chucking your money away.

if the plugs are seized in and you need to get that fixed under warranty or by fiat goodwill...

I believe the OP's car is no longer in warranty. Also, as most are aware, under block exemption rules, any vat registered garage can do the work as long as Fiat parts are used, even if the car was still under warranty.

Well, there you go then, £25 to £50 for a set of glow plugs depending on make, and half hour labour at an indie, total cost £60 to £80.

Or if you are mechanically competent and the car is out of warranty, do it yourself.

If you've taken it to a decent independent, then that isn't going to be a problem for them, certainly no more than it would be for a main dealer and you don't need a main dealer to either change the glow plugs or worse case, take off the head to get them out, when any competent qualified garage mechanic can do the job. Clearly no one is going to attempt to do this job themselves if they haven't got the competency or the tools and I wouldn't do the job myself if the car was still under warranty.

Clearly no one is going to attempt to do this job themselves if they haven't got the competency or the tools and I wouldn't do the job myself if the car was still under warranty.

HA! You're asking a great deal of an awful lot of people there.

Personally, I'd do the job myself - because I can. But if you can't, you need to ensure whoever does do the work is someone with a good reputation, someone you trust. Otherwise, it's your car, so do as you please!

the point is that what if the glow plugs need the head removing to get them out...

I had the glow plug warning come on a few weeks ago. No problems starting either. GSF had Bosch glow plugs. An independent garage changed them for me in 20 mins. No reset required and no problems since.

Yes Glow plugs can seize in the block but, there are probably 1000 of independents changing glow plugs all over the country and getting seized ones removed.

I wouldn't mind betting a main dealer would try and say you need a new head if it happened whilst they were doing the job.

......could say the same for independents?

Worse case scenario, head comes off and repaired, no need for new head and no dealership would say otherwise. There's more money in repair than replacement.

Back