Technical Help Brava 1.2 16v starts and dies

Currently reading:
Technical Help Brava 1.2 16v starts and dies

Matabikso

Hi everyone
I have a Brava from 2000, and I did a major overhaul. Got the head rectified, faced the block and changed the gaskets.
I followed all steps diligently, and I'm suspecting an electrical issue.
The car starts after a third time and it starts, revving up to 1500ish rpm, drops to 1000 and dies.
Any idea on what might be the problem?

Attachments

• 20230620_181858.jpg
    20230620_181858.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 111
Hi there, thanks for the reply.

I've tried it but still doesn't start. The pump is functioning since I can hear it from the back seat.

Hi everyone again.

I've been exploring the forum, the haynes manual and found the following:

"I've have looked at a Brava Hyanes manual, and it gives the coil resistances of the 1.2 16v engine (it seems the punto haynes doesnt!).

the Haynes values are:

Primary: 0.45 - 0.55 ohms
Secondary: 12000 - 14600 ohms.

Therefore I can conclude that the secondary resistance of my coils is fine. However my Primary resistance is almost double. Would this actually cause a problem? Though I dont think the car misfires - i am unable to tell.
..."

Well, I did 3 tests. Primary resistance, secondary resistance, continuity between the pins and ht leads. The results are the following:

Primary: 0.8 ohms - NOK
Haynes states 0.45 - 0.55 interval;

Secondary: 13710 ohms - OK
Haynes states 12000 - 14600 interval;

Continuity: 1 or null - OK
Haynes states there should be no signal between any of the HT leads and pins.

So, should I assume that the primary resistance values which are off parameters (almost double like in the thread) is the culprit making the car turn on, drop down to around 1000 rpm, shuts down or if I press on the gas pedal, it dies instantly?

I also removed the spark plugs and all of them were drenched with gasoline, so I assume fuel starvation isn't a issue.

Last edited:
Hi everyone again.

I've been exploring the forum, the haynes manual and found the following:

"I've have looked at a Brava Hyanes manual, and it gives the coil resistances of the 1.2 16v engine (it seems the punto haynes doesnt!).

the Haynes values are:

I also removed the spark plugs and all of them were drenched with gasoline, so I assume fuel starvation isn't a issue.

Really wet plugs.. could be a different problem

Unplug the Lambda sensor in the exhaust..one nearest engine ;)

Any improvement

If not.. try the Air flow sensor

Really wet plugs.. could be a different problem

Unplug the Lambda sensor in the exhaust..one nearest engine ;)

Any improvement

If not.. try the Air flow sensor
Already did the mass air pressure sensor, only gets worse, so i assume it's working properly.
I ordered an ignition coil pack and will install tomorrow. If that does not solve the issue, I'll unplug the lambda sensor and try, but I suspect that isn't the issue since I tested it with the multimeter some time ago and it was ok. Still, I'll test it tomorrow and also this engine only has one lambda sensor, and no catalytic converter in sight across the all exhaust line.

Last edited:
Could easily be a very weak spark .
I suspect that's the issue. Weak spark that sometimes manages to ignite, but then gets soaked and does manage to ignite after some tries and explains why it instantly shuts off after pressing the gas pedal, more air and more fuel with a weak spark, no time to make a birthday wish. Makes sense.

Last edited:
If anyone interested....
Cheap spark tester - Take an old spark plug , cut the ground electrode off ....use it as a spark tester in plug lead (remember to ground the spark plug body)
If the ignition system can't provide enough energy for spark to jump the gap from centre electrode to outer shell it definately has an ignition fault.

Last edited:
Hi again.

Changed the ignition coil pack with a new and problem still persists.

Checked the crank sensor and it seems ok.

I'm at a dead end, and don't know what to do.

Hi again.

Changed the ignition coil pack with a new and problem still persists.

Checked the crank sensor and it seems ok.

I'm at a dead end, and don't know what to do.
Thats disappointing.. :(

But.. you started seeing this problem after 'major work'

Please describe WHAT WORK :)

As an example.. did you put the 3 bolt pulley on the crankshaft correctly ;)

By correctly, Charlie is indicating that the 3 bolt crank pulley can be bolted on in three different ways.....only one of which is correct

Use a spark tester to test if spark correct strength.

Is there enough fuel in tank

Thats disappointing.. :(

But.. you started seeing this problem after 'major work'

Please describe WHAT WORK :)

As an example.. did you put the 3 bolt pulley on the crankshaft correctly ;)
In going to check it but I'm almost sure it is in the right position since there is grove that does no allow any other position

Hi guys. I finally found the problem.
There was no pretol in the fuel rank 😩

I know, I'm the dumbest DIY pseudo technician but that's one way to remember to keep ir simple stupid.

I found the issue by taking out the injectors, crank the engine and no petrol was being sprayed.

Disassembled, tested, cleaned and assembled each injector. Still no spray.
Decided to check the fuel filter in the fuel pump inside the fuel tank and for my dismay, there was a puddle of petrol with the diameter of my hand.

I dismissed it because the I had put 5 liters a while ago (left the gas cap open and it evaporated) also, the spark plugs where drenched in petrol (sucked up the last puddle of petrol available and manage to start but died immediately after I pressed the throttle due to low fuel pressure caused by lack of petrol).

Also regarding the primary resistance of ignition coil pack, this one rare occasion haynes manual induces in error and the actual tolerance is 0.4 - 1.0 ohms.

So there you have it, mystery solved.

If anyone wants to buy a brand new Meat & Doria ignition coil pack with 3 pins like the one in the picture, give a heads up and buy it with a discount 😃

Attachments

• IG40021.jpg
    IG40021.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 36
  • meat-doria.png
    meat-doria.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Hmmmm I think someone asked if there was enough fuel in the tank🙄🤦🏻‍♂️
🤣

Thanks for coming back and letting us know .

How is engine running after all your hard work?
Best wishes

Jack

Back