Panda (Classic) Hello from France

Currently reading:
Panda (Classic) Hello from France

Hi folks, I've just registered on the forum as we've just bought a Mk1 Panda 4x4 and I'm bound to have a raft of questions in the near future. We're not new to Fiat (also own a coupe) and previously owned a Panda when we lived in Germany.

Best wishes, JT

Bonjour...! (y)

When you say "Mk1 Panda", dare I ask what year it was made? Not many Mk1 4x4s left -- but quite a few Mk2s: in the UK, anyway.... (This should probably be in the Classic Panda section: so I shall ask a moderator to move it.) :cool:

You'll find lots of nutters, sorry, enthusiasts in that part of the forum -- incredibly helpful, knowledgeable, and friendly. Welcome! :)

has your panda got a Metal Grille with vertical slots, :confused:
or a plastic one with Horizontal slots ;)

Ah, but some Mk1s had the later grille. (I know: I've still a lot to learn, though... -- I just spend far too much time around more 'educated' Pandits.) :p

Better questions might be: is the bottom of your doors corrugated (and not just from rust...); does it have quarter-lights; and is there a chamfered (or plain) rear wheel arch...? :D

Here's the nicest Mk1 I know of... -- Palio... slayer:

...and here's my tatty Mk2 (from the same day; and is probably the most fun car I've ever owned... -- although it's gradually getting a lot less tatty...): :eek:

Last edited:
Hello, and welcome:wave:

has your panda got a Metal Grille with vertical slots, :confused:
or a plastic one with Horizontal slots ;)

as Important to me,:D
What part of France..??, I've travelled / worked pretty widely (y)

charlie - Oxford

A mk1 4x4 would usually have a plastic grille Charlie - just to confuse you! The plastic grille was upmarket at the time (hence the VIP has plastic, and the 45CL has the metal slotted grille). (y) The corrugated sides are the easiest way to tell. :idea:

Anyway Jammytask hello & welcome. :wave: Plenty of helpful folk in the Classic Panda section - a thread with pics of your Panda would be good.

The Coupe and Panda are a good (if odd) combination!! I have both, and there's someone else in this section with a mk1 Panda/Coupe combination. (y)

Ah, but some Mk1s had the later grille. (I know: I've still a lot to learn, though... -- I just spend far too much time around more 'educated' Pandits.) :p

Better questions might be: is the bottom of your doors corrugated (and not just from rust...); does it have quarter-lights; and is there a chamfered (or plain) rear wheel arch...? :D

Here's the nicest Mk1 I know of... -- Palio... slayer:

...and here's my tatty Mk2 (from the same day; and is probably the most fun car I've ever owned... -- although it's gradually getting a lot less tatty...): :eek:

You're too kind!! :worship:

Sorry, I clearly took too long to post my reply - yours wasn't there when I started tryping & it now looks like an echo about mk1/2 grilles! :rolleyes:

FAST though, :D
in the outside lane "blasting past" all those lesser cars :slayer:

Charlie

That's what it looks like doesn't it? Always liked that photo. (y)

By the way homeward the mk1 plastic grilles are different - they look the same as mk2 but have only got slotted holes (for the cooling) on one side (so lhd & rhd are different). I have it on good authority that the metal grilles fit either way up & are therefore the same for lhd & rhd. :confused:

Sorry, I clearly took too long to post my reply - yours wasn't there when I started tryping & it now looks like an echo about mk1/2 grilles! :rolleyes:

"Tryping" -- Panda word of the month...! :woot:

FAST though, :D
in the outside lane "blasting past" all those lesser cars :slayer:

That's why I like that photo so much.... I think I was doing about 3 mph at the time -- as the others were queuing to get into the Chiltern Hills Rally (2013), and I was doing taxi duty...! :D

By the way homeward the mk1 plastic grilles are different - they look the same as mk2 but have only got slotted holes (for the cooling) on one side (so lhd & rhd are different).

Ooh: I've learned something new, today...! :worship:

I have it on good authority that the metal grilles fit either way up & are therefore the same for lhd & rhd. :confused:

I have seen them fitted both ways: but not consistently to do with hand-driveness (sic(k)). Now I'm really... :confused:

Sorry folks, my mistake, it appears to be a Mk2...

Once I suss out how to post a pic I'll get some sorted.

Varesecrazy - we're in Creuse (23)

that's saved a lot of protesting from " the faithful" ;) hen -house indeed,

always said it was the "Italian Deux Chevaux" :rolleyes::D

pics are simple once you know.. may need 5 posts on FF though.

#23 , lovely part of France, :worship:
travelled through on our way to Lozere = #48 :woot:

Charlie

>

Testing to see if I can post a photo of my Panda from the gallery. Plenty of sill rust pics to follow if this works....!

Back