Technical Headlights control unresponsive on 2007 model.

Currently reading:
Technical Headlights control unresponsive on 2007 model.

AndrewTanner

Hi all,

We have an issue with our headlights, or rather the controls for the headlights. The car is a 2007 model. The stork twist control knob isn't having any impact on the headlight intensity - the lights are currently locked to the mid-setting (the dimmest when the lights are on). As far as I can tell all other lights work and respond to their controls appropriately. I noticed the issue last night when the lights did not turn off until a second or two after I switched them off then more so this morning when I discovered the lights were turning on and off (I could only tell by the indication of headlights being active on the dashboard). When I parked up I attempted to turn them off, or at least have some impact, but no joy. The only way I can turn them off is by turning off the electrics by removing the key from the ignition slot.

Asking around it seems like it might be a stork issue rather than a direct electrical issue. Can anyone offer any insight, please?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Hey andrew,
This definitely sounds like a stalk issue which is quite common. You'll have to replace the stalk unit which should be a cheapish part if you don't have cruise control.
You'll have to remove the airbag and steering wheel. And the trims around the column , then you just unbolt the clamp which holds it on. Unplug the wiring and swap.
If you have MES you can directly control the headlights to see if it works. If they do it's definitely a stalk unit.

Hi Andrew,

remember One MUST disconnect the battery before playing with air-bags ...

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Afternoon Andrew

Did replacing this Stalk switch solve the problem in the end ? Also was it easy to do.

think i will need to do the same

ta

Hey, yes it did fortunately. Unfortunately it's not possible to replace just the stork, you have to get the whole unit replaced (that sits in the steering wheel column). I think it was about 70 quid on eBay then I paid an auto-electrician 30 quid to fit it. I didn't fancy attempting it myself but it's pretty trivial for them. Just be aware that some of the control units can be considerably more expensive if you have cruise control. Hope this helps.

Hi Andrew, did the stalk looked like un-repairable at all ??

BRs, Bernie

Back