General Headlight help please

Currently reading:
General Headlight help please

[/I][/B]

3 suggestions then:

check the headlights are clean

check they are aligned properly

fit some uprated bulbs

This is what I am going to try also. I have ordered some Phillips Xtreme Power H7 bulbs. Will get them fitted and beam professionally adjusted to ensure that it does not dazzle oncoming traffic and then will let everyone know if there is much difference IMHO. Although those that simply want to slow right down can continue to do so.

Looking through some of the back-dated threads, looks like some people have issues with the beam adjustment not being spot on, and therefore losing some valuable light.

This is what I am going to try also. I have ordered some Phillips Xtreme Power H7 bulbs. Will get them fitted and beam professionally adjusted to ensure that it does not dazzle oncoming traffic and then will let everyone know if there is much difference IMHO. Although those that simply want to slow right down can continue to do so.

Looking through some of the back-dated threads, looks like some people have issues with the beam adjustment not being spot on, and therefore losing some valuable light.

Out of interest, will you ask your Fiat dealer to check the beam adjustment or an independent person? I am rather afraid that if I mentioned new bulbs or checking adjustment to my Fiat dealer they would have a similar reaction to those on the board here who can't see it being a problem.:)

Am taking the Merc in to local garage tomorrow to have the beam adjustment and also the light reflectors(?)/light fixtures checked. Oh, and possibly a change of bulb! As the Merc is the worse of the two cars I hope there is an improvement.

Out of interest, will you ask your Fiat dealer to check the beam adjustment or an independent person? I am rather afraid that if I mentioned new bulbs or checking adjustment to my Fiat dealer they would have a similar reaction to those on the board here who can't see it being a problem.:)

My local independent. The closest fiat garage is 30 mins away, best part of 20 miles - whereas I have a half dozen independents all within 5 mins drive.

Beam adjustment should be something that any MOT-testing garage should be able to do for a nominal charge. They will probably pop the bulb in if required too.

Bulbs are generally considered consumables - and so Fiat Garage and warranty should be unaffected. If anyone knows different please shout!

My local independent. The closest fiat garage is 30 mins away, best part of 20 miles - whereas I have a half dozen independents all within 5 mins drive.

Beam adjustment should be something that any MOT-testing garage should be able to do for a nominal charge. They will probably pop the bulb in if required too.

Bulbs are generally considered consumables - and so Fiat Garage and warranty should be unaffected. If anyone knows different please shout!

It is a local independent who is checking the Merc tomorrow so will see how that goes and then perhaps ask them to look at the Fiat too. They have all the MOT testing stuff etc. Glad to hear it should not affect the warranty as did wonder about that. Thanks for your help(y)

It is a local independent who is checking the Merc tomorrow so will see how that goes and then perhaps ask them to look at the Fiat too. They have all the MOT testing stuff etc. Glad to hear it should not affect the warranty as did wonder about that. Thanks for your help(y)
You may find on an older car the reflectors may have deteriorated.

Thanks Maxi, yes the garage also mentioned the reflectors may have worn so will check them out for me.

I'm glad someone else brought this up, as I began to wonder if my previously perfect 20/20 vision had suddenly deteriorated after getting my 500! So much so that I even went for an eye test - and they're fine.

I went from driving a Kia Picanto with no problems at all with night driving, to the 500 where I find myself rather more tentative. For my work journey, I cover quite a few stretches of road where there is no lighting at all, and in the first week or so I put my nervousness down to new car ownership! But it's become apparent over the weeks that the headlights are just not great in the 500 for visibility, I've adjusted the controls etc but it doesn't make much difference.

Thanks for posting as I thought it was just me! And thanks to the helpful posters re Halfords bulbs (y)

500 Megafan - glad there is someone else who has a problem as I was starting to feel paranoid it was just me:)

YouKnowWho - I have looked up buying some of the Phillips Xtreme bulbs for both Merc and Fiat. The guide seems to suggest I need H1 bulbs for dipped beam and H7 for full beam only. As it is the dipped beam which gives me the problem I assume I would need to purchase the H1 type for both cars:confused: I am happy to leave the full beam as it is on both cars.

This is all a new learning curve for me!

500 Megafan - glad there is someone else who has a problem as I was starting to feel paranoid it was just me:)

YouKnowWho - I have looked up buying some of the Phillips Xtreme bulbs for both Merc and Fiat. The guide seems to suggest I need H1 bulbs for dipped beam and H7 for full beam only. As it is the dipped beam which gives me the problem I assume I would need to purchase the H1 type for both cars:confused: I am happy to leave the full beam as it is on both cars.

This is all a new learning curve for me!

There does seem to be some confusion as the correct bulb. I have seen some sites state H1 for dipped beam, and others that say H7 for the main beam. I have ordered H7 - as thats what the Phillips site states. Hopefully they are the right bulb!! I'll let you know - am hoping to get them installed by the weekend.

I, like you, am happy with the full beam. I only really want to improve the dipped beam.

If you can let me know what they are like after trying it out this weekend I would be very grateful before I order some. Thanks.

I use Philips Extreme and they won't dazzle people if they are aligned correctly as with any other headlight bulb.

The one thing to remember is that bulbs decay as well and I have found that the Philips Extreme's last about 18 months before they show a significant reduction in output. I just had to swap mine as they had gone quite dim due to a coating forming inside the bulb quartz. The difference with new one's was amazing.

There does seem to be some confusion as the correct bulb. I have seen some sites state H1 for dipped beam, and others that say H7 for the main beam. I have ordered H7 - as thats what the Phillips site states. Hopefully they are the right bulb!! I'll let you know - am hoping to get them installed by the weekend.

That is the correct bulb for dipped beam. (y)

I, like you, am happy with the full beam. I only really want to improve the dipped beam.

The Phillips site also says H1 for dipped beam.

cheerio

thanks You Know Who, I'd be interested to see what you think once you get them!

I have them fitted, fairly easy to do. Although the passenger side is tricky as the fuse box is in the way. They have been professionally tested (for free, as it only took 3-4 mins)

Be a couple of days before I am driving in the dark - so will let you all know if it makes a difference

Yesterday I took the Merc to garage and they checked reflectors (fine) and fitted Osram Nightbreakers and properly aligned lights. We will see what happens when take car out tomorrow night in dark for first time. Depending on the outcome I may get them to change the Fiat also (although think I would use Phillips as they keep getting mentioned).

Perhaps we can compare Osram and Phillips:D

Back