Technical head gasket kit- spare bits?!

Currently reading:
Technical head gasket kit- spare bits?!

whoops

hello,

first of all, i'd just like to say ta to all you folks who share your knowledge on this forum, its turned up trumps for me on many an occasion. :worship: can't find anything about the following though- (maybe cos its TOO obvious, lol;))

i've got a mk 1, 1.2v petrol punto

i had a leaky water pump, and then the inevitable blown head gasket. got the kit, got it off, got it skimmed, followed the haynes and all advice on here to a t and got it ( mostly ) back together ( still waiting on a water pump).

BUT:confused:

i have an oval gasket with two bolt holes ( i though maybe for the joint between ex manifold and down pipe, but that has 3 bolts)

I have 6 funny little black plastic plug/fat washer type things with a metal coil ring around the tapered end. my camara is out of action i'm afraid so no pics.

these items aren't mentioned in the manual and i havn't removed anything like them, so it is a bit of a worrying mystery.:confused:

any help would be greatly appreciated, especially as i will be driving her to france on friday and need her to be fighting fit!

cheers

the black coily things go on the valves to stop oil dribbling/being pulled into the head
the gasket sounds like its for the thermostat housing
if you have had a h/g problem i strongly recommend you fit a new thermostat

aha!

however, i've already put the head back on!:eek:
are they a non vital addition that i can get away with omitting? or do i need to take it off again?
also i suppose the big ring of similar construction is for something in the camshaft assembly?

oh dear oh dear

the big ring will be for the coil pack where it bolts in the head you dont need it if it isnt leaking but keep it as they often do
if you havent fitted the valve oil seals dont worry
remember what i said about the thermostat though as everry head gasket ive now done is due to a failed thermostat
when will i be doing another one?
tomorrow
when did i do the last do a punto h/g one?
2 weeks ago
notice a pattern:)

righto,

that's loads of help thanks very much, will get a thermostat tomorrow.

also, i've been given mixed info re timing belt. i've got a new one, but my chum who knows a fair bit about such things says the one already on looks pretty new (it had a sevice before i got it, 300 miles ago, but no written evidence that the belt was changed) and that with my level of expertise(pretty minimal) it will be more straight forward to use the old one (bearing in mind i'm need it to be ship shape by the weekend)

i was thinking put the old one on now and then change it on my return from france, when i will have days in hand to mess around with the timing, or get it doen at a garage if needs be

any thoughts?

old belt will be fine
(please dont cuss me if it breaks in france mind:D)

but they are cheap and you are putting a new water pump on so its up to you
make sure the idler wheel spins nice too

Last edited:
right well its all back together now but running terribly! it's revving while idling, can hear the autochoke working hard then trying to settle down again but not having much luck. my technical mate says it 'hunting' ; pulling air in from somewhere. he's stumped as to where though. i'm just gonna try to reset the ecu by disconnecting and reconnecting battery.

Hunting may be an air leak -- check intake manifold and all vacuum hoses. Can also be caused by an overtight throttle cable (should be plenty of slack), the little rubber grommet on the TB end of the cable coming loose and interfering with closure (can safely be cut off) or dirty idle air control valve.

THE PLOT THICKENS
righto, i'm working through the suggestions from folks, in doing so i've noticed something interesting
it runs fine, or at least much much better, if i disconnect and put my finger over the small breather hose that feeds into the back of the air cleaner box.
does this give any clever people a clue?
any help really appreciated.

pull airbox off and go through everything carefully
in future please take photos of things before disassembly
this is why i can post pictures because i always take pictures for future reference if they are needed and i cant remember what goes where

Back