Technical handbrake help

Currently reading:
Technical handbrake help

seicentaff

hey guys MOT failed because of handbrake, basically it wouldn't keep a Fly still.

guy at kwik fit said he tried everything adjusted it, the lot.

he said i may need a new cable, or an adjuster?

can anyone help, i got my driving test monday and if kwik fit are right i wount have my car to go out in :(

plus he said he wount be able to get it untill tuesday what do i need?

It goes up three clicks but still your able to push it.

well theres really little we can tell your bar whats in all the faq's,threads etc.
without you being able to confirm whats been done we can only speculate.
you may need a cable,new shoes,adjuster arms,springs.............. or it may just need lubed
has he had the drums off?

Are you doing your test in this car?

If so i think this was a foolish move to leave sorting out the handbrake an important part of the test this long and prior to a test hoping it would pass

no no its ok im not doing it in my car, its just i wanna be able to drive you know, like most people do take a trip out in the car on thier own for the first time.

well he said something was seized, but they had sorted that, and now he says it could be somthing else, he had the drums off, i had new shoes 2 months ago. i just want my little sei to take out on monday :( how long would it take for a part if ordered tonight?? he said he wount get it untill tuesday :(

THe FAQs, the FAQs!

But if it wouldn't hold at 3 clicks, will it hold at 5, 6, etc.?

If it'll hold in the end, it's got to be down to adjustment. The adjusters don't wear. The cables break, but don't stretch very much at all.

Could be grease on the drums if adjusting doesn't do it.

I don't think any of us are au fait with Kwickfit's ordering process, let alone their time spans..............

Why not take a look at it yourself on Sunday?

Parked my outside the MOT place on friday. Went in and one of the guys followed me in explaining how my car had just rolled down the hill into a wall.

Naff thing, far too used to the van's handbrake that actually works. ..

:rolleyes:

Back