Technical Guides

Currently reading:
Technical Guides

Buggs

I have a 1967 500 Nuovo with a WRX turbo motor. The steering is very sloppy so I plan to convert to rack and pinion. I would appreciate information on the rack, mounting brackets, tie rod ends, steering shaft etc to make the conversion. Many Thanks. Buggs

Attachments

• B0D3DDD1-2246-4905-8E26-000528AEC683.jpeg
    B0D3DDD1-2246-4905-8E26-000528AEC683.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 246
I have a 1967 500 Nuovo with a WRX turbo motor. The steering is very sloppy so I plan to convert to rack and pinion. I would appreciate information on the rack, mounting brackets, tie rod ends, steering shaft etc to make the conversion. Many Thanks. Buggs
Contact me direct [email protected] and I will try and help you. I have a supplier for the rack-mounting which is very simple to fit, properly aligned and well built. Am away for the weekend, but will answer your queries as soon as I get back (Tuesday)

Sorry can’t help with the rack conversion but, wow that’s a pretty wild looking 500! Have you got any more pictures or info about it?

Have you looked into rebuilding the steering box? Many end up worn or poorly adjusted, and in combination can really give the system a bad name.

If you need any details or photos, check out my build thread. I just finished converting my car (part of a full restoration), there should be some good photos in there that can help with how it all works and how i made it all fit (some custom fab required). I also have more that i havent posted if you need help.

"The Hobbler's" rack mount is what i used, and it is darn near a perfect install (some slight modification to clearance the fit of a dual master brake cylinder), and i custom made special spacers for it instead of using the supplied spacer.
I had also bought the solid mount option (original 126 brackets) if i decided to not use the bolt in bracket. But the bracket ended up working great.

With it you need a 126 rack, and the rubber mount bushings for the 126 rack, along with the tie rod ends.

Racks and steering arms can be harder to find. i got mine, new from Axel Gerstl. They have been great, although slow, when shipping to Canada. likely the same case to the US. UK suppliers might also have the 126 rack in stock.

also.. we gotta know more about the beast you have built there. Very cool!

Last edited:
I have two brand new LHD 126 steering racks in my spares, may also have the new ball joints. Can sell with considerable savings on the ones listed for sale.

Your car is nuts! How many horsepower does this little beast have? It's got to be like driving an early 911 turbo- always ready to switch ends and kill you.

Back