Technical Grande Punto Stalls Easily When A/C is On

Currently reading:
Technical Grande Punto Stalls Easily When A/C is On

thetourist85

Hi, hopefully someone can shed some insight into this issue.

I have a Grande Punto 1.3 MJ. When the air conditioning is on, the car will stall very easily when pulling away from idle.

Having done a little bit of research, it seems it may be something to do with the idle control valve? Is it likely to require replacement?

Does anyone know if this is something I would be able to investigate/fix myself (limited technical car knowledge)? If not, any idea what sort of cost to repair this might be?

Many thanks.

hmmm i noticed this on my 1.4 T-jet today i stalled twice when i had the AC on :/ i never stalled once untill this heat wave where ive needed AC ^^

Think the 1.9M-Jet will suffer this issue? I pick mine's up tomorrow and hoping I don't have any issue's on the 40 some mile drive home.

Not just lower powered cars! Put it on in the lorry and it feels like a herd of horses has escaped from the engine. Don't use it until the engine has warmed up too, it will run smoother.

This sounds weird, I've had the AC on full blast in my Coupe SIII and haven't noticed a single issue with the engine. Is it perhaps only diesel engines?

Makes no difference on my t-jet nor has it on any of my former cars. The revs may rise at idle a touch but that should be it.

The engine ecu controls the idle when the aircon compressor/clutch kicks in, so you shouldn't notice much difference in the running the everso slight drip in revs as the aircon kicks in is about it.

As the aircon cycles on and off depending on internal pressures engine speed etc, if you happen to catch it just wrong ie you drive away just as the compressor kicks in then it is possible to get it wrong and cause a stall. You might just need to adapt your driving style to give it a bit more revs and be a bit smoother on the clutch.

If you find that the engine revs drop drastically with the aircon running and the car is stalling a lot then you might need to get it checked out as the engine ecu isn't regulating the idle properly.
It's always worth remembering that the aircon will switch off on wide open throttle so when you floor it all the engine's power goes to the wheels and doesn't get taken by the aircon

I have a mk2b punto 1.3 multijet which I have no problem with the aircon running and it has less power than it's grande punto counterparts

Last edited:
Back