Technical Grande Punto - D.I.Y Repair

Currently reading:
Technical Grande Punto - D.I.Y Repair

sandyh

Hi all,

Brand new to this forum after hearing some great things….I’m really looking for some help here and it’d be VERY appreciated.

I’m helping out an elderly relative who has had a bang with his 2006 Fiat Grande Punto 3door hatchback (Think it’s a Mk3).

He’s had a bang with it and he’s not covered with his insurance (his poor finances and general wellbeing has led to me attempting to repair his damagefor myself).

Anyway, a mechanic (who he cant afford) has said the damage is 95% bodywork.

I am going to replace the front bumper, bonnet, Drivers headlight( I am capable of this) but before I can get to that I need to replace the Radiator (I’ve done this before) and also the Front Panel (which holds it all together) and the re-inforcement panel.

My main concern is the re-inforcement panel, I didn’t recognize the bolt fitting at first (I can upload pictures if need be) but I am starting to think this is welded on.

The other concern is the front panel.
It looks complicated at first, but if I remove the old mangled one, and radiator, I think I can get it all fitted back in properly.

All I’m looking for is any pointers or “What not to do”…..any bumps in the road that anyone can point out for me to watch for.

Again, because of my relatives poor finances, if I can get it to a garage and all he needs to do is replace the re-inforcement panel, then that’s gonna still save a fortune with me doing everything else.

Again, thanks for any help in advance. :)

PS. I’ve already sourced ALL parts from eBay.

Hi all,

Brand new to this forum after hearing some great things….I’m really looking for some help here and it’d be VERY appreciated.

I’m helping out an elderly relative who has had a bang with his 2006 Fiat Grande Punto 3door hatchback (Think it’s a Mk3).

He’s had a bang with it and he’s not covered with his insurance (his poor finances and general wellbeing has led to me attempting to repair his damagefor myself).

Anyway, a mechanic (who he cant afford) has said the damage is 95% bodywork.

I am going to replace the front bumper, bonnet, Drivers headlight( I am capable of this) but before I can get to that I need to replace the Radiator (I’ve done this before) and also the Front Panel (which holds it all together) and the re-inforcement panel.

My main concern is the re-inforcement panel, I didn’t recognize the bolt fitting at first (I can upload pictures if need be) but I am starting to think this is welded on.

The other concern is the front panel.
It looks complicated at first, but if I remove the old mangled one, and radiator, I think I can get it all fitted back in properly.

All I’m looking for is any pointers or “What not to do”…..any bumps in the road that anyone can point out for me to watch for.

Again, because of my relatives poor finances, if I can get it to a garage and all he needs to do is replace the re-inforcement panel, then that’s gonna still save a fortune with me doing everything else.

Again, thanks for any help in advance. :)

PS. I’ve already sourced ALL parts from eBay.

what concerns me is people repairing cars after an accident, it should be asessed by someone qualified enough to say its road worthy, last thing you want is to hurt yourself driving it, or someone else for that fact.

When you say hes not covered, may i ask why? did he damage a third party vehicle or object?

i would want to check the front chassis legs are in no way damaged as if the front impact beam has been bent forces would have been transferred to the front sub frame and chassis legs........

also on the front frame there is the impact sensor this needs great care when working on or near,,

the bolts are exposed on the other side that you cant see till you remove the bumper i think what ever they are i would also replace them again as they will have been exposed to severe stress

see here

http://eper.fiatforum.com/eper/navi...INT_MODE=0&EPER_CAT=SP&WINDOW_ID=1&GUI_LANG=3

Hi Matty,

there was no third party involved (only an small unlucky wall) but as he only has 3rd Party F&T he is not covered to get his Punto repaired.

Hi Matty,

there was no third party involved (only an small unlucky wall) but as he only has 3rd Party F&T he is not covered to get his Punto repaired.

cheers for that, cleared that up. all i can say, is if your defo fixing yourself, at least get somone qualified to check before or after that theres no structural damage which could efeect the safety of the vehicle.

Thanks for the reply Andy.
The thing with the impact sensors is, when he struck the wall, the car wouldn’t start afterwards (it just kept turning) so initially I assumed it was the impact sensors. I found the reset button on the drivers side under the dash – next to the door. Reset it and, WALLAH, the engine started! Only thing is, the mangled bumper has since been disposed off and Im now worried that the sensors may have been stuck onto the inside of the front bumper. Or this not the case?
I’ve researched changing the radiator which I am now quite confident in doing this weekend, but the only bit that worries me is the front panel, which sort of holds it all together.

The Reinforcement bar I think is welded on so that’s an expense (local welder) that’s unavoidable.

Again, thanks for any help guys.

And Matty, I will definitely get it thoroughly checked before I allow it back on the road.

Thanks for the reply Andy.
The thing with the impact sensors is, when he struck the wall, the car wouldn’t start afterwards (it just kept turning) so initially I assumed it was the impact sensors. I found the reset button on the drivers side under the dash – next to the door. Reset it and, WALLAH, the engine started! Only thing is, the mangled bumper has since been disposed off and Im now worried that the sensors may have been stuck onto the inside of the front bumper. Or this not the case?
I’ve researched changing the radiator which I am now quite confident in doing this weekend, but the only bit that worries me is the front panel, which sort of holds it all together.

The Reinforcement bar I think is welded on so that’s an expense (local welder) that’s unavoidable.

Again, thanks for any help guys.

And Matty, I will definitely get it thoroughly checked before I allow it back on the road.
i can 100% confirm there is nothing safety related whatsoever on the bumper, so thats one less thing to worry about

Back