General Grande Punto Air Con Noisey

Currently reading:
General Grande Punto Air Con Noisey

nunney

Hi Chaps, this has just started so hoping for some help.

When I turn the Air Con on by pressing the button & turning the fan dial on there is a very load screeching noise which sounds like a belt slipping, but only when the engine is idling. If I rev or drive the nosie stops. The air con works fine other wise.

Could this be just a slipping belt. Does the air con have its own belt? Any replies greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

does seem like the aux belt slipping under load, does it do the same with everything else on full (lights, fan, rear screen ect) but the AC off?

You should definitely get this checked and probably shouldn’t use the A/C prior to finding what might be wrong as you could damage your A/C unit or even the engine - extreme scenario but not impossible. The aircon is driven by the auxiliary belt, the one that is visible in the exterior of the engine (the cam belt – the second and more important belt - is within a protecting black box)

Nice one, took it to a local garage & they diagnosed that the Air compressor was the cause of the rattling noise. With out taking it off they couldn't be 100% Here's my thoughts,Dealer wants upwards of £800 to fix. Unemployed so no go. Can I simply remove the belt that drives the AC & live with out AC? Effectively turning the car into a no AC Grande Punto? Any diagrams of the pulley & engine would help out.Cheers

no you cant as the aux belt also runs the Alternator, the alternator is in a different position iirc from the non air con cars along with the AC versions requiring a tensioner where as the Non AC cars has the belt adjusted by moving the alternator on slotted bolt holes

It sounds like the compressor bearings are shot. Given your current position i'd leave it and just not use the air con.

A cheaper option than buying new from a main dealer is to look on flebay for some body breaking a punto (normaly a few on there) and buy a second hand one.
Or as said earlyer just don't use ya AC.

Back