Technical GPS 1.9 Rattle

Currently reading:
Technical GPS 1.9 Rattle

srgl99

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this is a repost, but the car is in the garage at the moment and I'm stuck at work with little time to do a full search.

It went in this morning to get a rear bearing done and to search for a rattle that has plagued me since having the MOT done in January.

The rattle is external and only seem noticeable at certain rev ranges under de-acceleration with the car in gear and no brakes applied.

It's a fast and tinny sounding rattle which seems to be getting louder.

Any ideas? Again I'm sorry if this is a repost, but I just want to give the garage some pointers on where to look as it is not a main dealer and hopefully have it all sorted when I pick it up when I finish work.

Cheers

fast and tinny at certain revs = exhaust IMO

had it on my landrover and the central silencer (a cheap pattern part) was making the noise. It could also be a heat shield or similar resonating against the underside of the car

Did they replace anything when you had your MOT? Could be something as simple as a loose bolt which wasn't re-tightened during any work they did. If you know what was done, it would give you a better idea as to where to look in the engine bay.

I know how annoying it can be though, my 1.9 mjet has a rattle which is in tune with the diesel chatter but is only present when the accelerator is pressed, however it is not there at idle. I've had it for 6 months and still cannot work out what it is. Seems to be louder in the drivers footwell when driving.

Is this not just the airbox rattling against the engine because the rubber nipple has degraded that holds it in place at the back?

I didn't think the MJet's air box was fitted in the same way (and suffered from the rubber gromit degradation) that other models suffer from? Or does it?..

Well, they checked all of the exhaust and heat shields and found nothing, they didn't know what it was at all.

When I picked up the car though, the rattle has now mysteriously disappeared.

Maybe when they checked the exhaust and heat shields they knocked something back into place, glad with the outcome, shame I'll never know though.

Cheers for the replies!

Back