Glow plug warning light bravo!

Currently reading:
Glow plug warning light bravo!

jonathan3

I noticed recently while having the Bravo a brief while the glow plug warning light is on when I start the car and occasionally turns off, but not on every run? I was told by the guys who sold me the car that it was low voltage while the car has been standing for a while, is this worth cheaking further? As one of the last services says glow plugs might need replacing and far as I am aware they have not? Surely these cannot be the originals on a 50k bravo and are they just as easy to replace as spark plugs on a petrol car? As I have done this many times! This is the first diesel I have ever owned!☺

Glowplug light flashing means they are shot, they are a similar diameter to a pencil and often snap off when you try to remove them. Give a good spray of WD40 and be gentle.

Thank for reply maggers! I am no expert, but I suspiciously think they are possibly the originals looking at the service history, glow plugs don't seem to be changed as regularly as spark plugs on petrol versions of these Bravos, because this is my first diesel car I will take extreme care when I do replace them, as once I lost part of a spark plug in my old petrol car and luckily shot through. The glow plug warning light seems to be mostly on though! Last thing I want to do in round it off! Doe's anyone in the forum know if I need a special glow plug removal tool for removing glow plugs a spark plug wrench equivalent or can it be done with a normal socket set? Any more advice would be appreciated!
smile.gif

There are special tools but you can get away with a normal deep 1/4 or 3/8 drive socket. They are usually 10mm, glow plugs get changed as and when, there isn't a change period as in petrol engines.

I would suggest to get MES on the car first so you can read the eror... you might get something like "#3 circuit malfunction".. that is probably the plug but might be the wires.

The problem you are likely to encounter is that part of the plugs remains inside the engine head, there are specialized tools that are used to drill out the remaining part of the plug then re-tap the threads... my main concern is that some debris will end up inside the engine and cause premature failure.

Use a lot of penetrating oil/fluid for a few days before attempting it..
I've heard that people get different results ( i.e. they came out easier) if the engine is warmed up.. you only have to loosen them.. then wait for it to cool down so you don't get burned.

Back