Technical Giardiniera Timing marks

Currently reading:
Technical Giardiniera Timing marks

The 'saloon' marks are on the crankshaft pulley and the timing-chain cover to the right of the engine's 'centre-line' As far as I am aware, it is the same for the Giardy engine. The engine turns clockwise--the first mark is 10 deg BTDC and the 2nd mark 13mm further round on the timing-chain cover is TDC

The Giardi static timing mark is a tiny slanted foundry projection just under the distributor body, on the distributor tunnel on the timing cover.
Very difficult to sight using the timing light, as the distributor body is in the way...

giardi timing cover.jpg

The Giardi static timing mark is a tiny slanted foundry projection just under the distributor body, on the distributor tunnel on the timing cover.
Very difficult to sight using the timing light, as the distributor body is in the way...

View attachment 404948
Many thanks for that.
So, it is like in a normal 500 engine that is 10 BTD and the rotor should be pointing at the first or second cylinder at that time?

I have no experience of the "normal" engine.
The static mark I described and the mark on the rotor align at TDC for either cylinder.
Absent a "quadrant" timing accessory, I have marked the rotor at 10 and 18° to the right of the TDC mark, and these align with the static mark
at idle and full advance respectively, under the strobe light.
Dead simple, I hope my description is as clear.

The static mark I described and the mark on the rotor align at TDC for either cylinder.
Absent a "quadrant" timing accessory, I have marked the rotor at 10 and 18° to the right of the TDC mark, and these align with the static mark
Thank you again. will give it a go at lunchtime.
You seem very knowledgeable and looks like you are selling some parts. You can maybe use my FB page Fiat500 SOS.
Thanks

You are very welcome. Knowledge restricted to 25-year ownership of the one little bugger, nothing to sell, hopeless at FB !
Cheers !

I tried it yesterday and it worked first time after 3 years of sitting in my driveway.
Many thanks

Back