Technical Gearbox removal from 2.3 Multijet 120

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox removal from 2.3 Multijet 120

davetheyoungtech

Hi all,
I need to take the gearbox off of a 2.3 Ducato. The workshop manual says that the gearbox can't be removed separately and I need to remove the engine as well. However, I would like to avoid that if possible. Has any of you guys done it without removing the engine or I have to go the hard way? Thanks in advance.
1694610898192.png

Hi

I assume you are talking about an X250 vehicle (2006 to 2014) or the later X290 (2014 to now)

I have a 2008 X250 2.3 model. I had the gearbox removed, repaired and replaced last year, by a Fiat professional garage. They did not remove the engine. The same is true for any garage that does clutch replacement, which also needs the gearbox to be removed.

See this video for a 2016 Peugeot 2.2. This will differ in details, but is basically the same job.

The sequence is as follows (I may have missed some of the smaller bits !)

Lower ball joints, Drive shafts, Rear gearbox mount, Rigid air pipe mount, Lower Bellhousing Bolts
Slave Cylinder,
Place jack under gearbox
Gear linkage cables, multiway plug, End gearbox mount, Earth cable
Shifter mechanism, Reversing light cable, Upper bellhousing bolts, Hose bracket
Remove gearbox (at 23:00 in the video)

This is not a job for the faint-hearted, as there is a lot of dismantling. An air wrench will speed things up, but it's not essential. The gearbox is also very heavy - the guy in the film didn't seem to mind having it on top of him !

Hi

I assume you are talking about an X250 vehicle (2006 to 2014) or the later X290 (2014 to now)

I have a 2008 X250 2.3 model. I had the gearbox removed, repaired and replaced last year, by a Fiat professional garage. They did not remove the engine. The same is true for any garage that does clutch replacement, which also needs the gearbox to be removed.

See this video for a 2016 Peugeot 2.2. This will differ in details, but is basically the same job.

The sequence is as follows (I may have missed some of the smaller bits !)

Lower ball joints, Drive shafts, Rear gearbox mount, Rigid air pipe mount, Lower Bellhousing Bolts
Slave Cylinder,
Place jack under gearbox
Gear linkage cables, multiway plug, End gearbox mount, Earth cable
Shifter mechanism, Reversing light cable, Upper bellhousing bolts, Hose bracket
Remove gearbox (at 23:00 in the video)

This is not a job for the faint-hearted, as there is a lot of dismantling. An air wrench will speed things up, but it's not essential. The gearbox is also very heavy - the guy in the film didn't seem to mind having it on top of him !

The workshop manual says that you don't have to remove the engine from the 2.2 that's why I was confused. I have all the tools needed as I'm a mechanic myself, I just don't have any experience with the 2.3 Multijet.

Great Video, Thanks
I particularly like the steady camera, and the lack of unnecessary bits and nonsense.
I have found this before where the manual tells you to dismantle more than is necessary.
But it sometimes depends on the ancillaries fitted - air conditioning or whatever.
So on some models it might be necessary to take the engine out? - despite the fact he did the job without on that one.

Great Video, Thanks
I particularly like the steady camera, and the lack of unnecessary bits and nonsense.
I have found this before where the manual tells you to dismantle more than is necessary.
But it sometimes depends on the ancillaries fitted - air conditioning or whatever.
So on some models it might be necessary to take the engine out? - despite the fact he did the job without on that one.
I believe this very car has A/C as well. I've just noticed that this is a 3.0 model.
In this video he works on a 2.3

Soon gets them done doesn't he
- I'd be faffing about trying to find torque wrench settings but he seems to be able to rely on experience, except for the wheelnuts.
Looks like there is one advantage to working on the ground - he uses his knees with knee pads to manhandle the gearbox - couldn't do that with the van up on a hoist
Maybe he can do them all without removing the engine
I can remember instances where the Haynes Manual tells you to dismantle things that aren't necessary- like taking the alternator out to replace brushes on smaller engined versions where there is room to replace the brushes with the alternator in situ.
I suspect there are other variants where the alternator has to come out and it would be too complicated to test and list them all.
You just have to treat the manual like the Sat Nav - as a guide, not an instruction.

Last edited:
Soon gets them done doesn't he
- I'd be faffing about trying to find torque wrench settings but he seems to be able to rely on experience, except for the wheelnuts.
Looks like there is one advantage to working on the ground - he uses his knees with knee pads to manhandle the gearbox - couldn't do that with the van up on a hoist
Maybe he can do them all without removing the engine
I can remember instances where the Haynes Manual tells you to dismantle things that aren't necessary- like taking the alternator out to replace brushes on smaller engined versions where there is room to replace the brushes with the alternator in situ.
I suspect there are other variants where the alternator has to come out and it would be too complicated to test and list them all.
You just have to treat the manual like the Sat Nav - as a guide, not an instruction.
Yeah happened to me as well with an alternator change on a Punto. Haynes told me I'd have to drain and refill the A/C cirquit to remove a hose. Turned out I could maneuver the alternator out without having to remove anything.

Back