Technical Gearbox linkage cable failed is this common or just me...

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox linkage cable failed is this common or just me...

dumbledore

Done some aggressive driving today and the gearbox linkage broke, getting me stuck in 4th gear. Had to drive for about 10 miles before reaching a garage. Was to far from home to drive so won't be doing the repair this time. Last time it failed was a year and a half ago and about 13000 miles. This is far to short of life for this cable. True my clutch is quite heavy making gear changes harder which puts more stress on the cables. But still this not good even compared to my old mk1 which also had heavy clutch, but no linkage cables. So what you expert think is the cable really weak part or is it just my driving style?

Not common. Where did the cable break, at the solid part a few inches from the gearbox end?
I would think cable adjustment might be the problem.

Not common. Where did the cable break, at the solid part a few inches from the gearbox end?
I would think cable adjustment might be the problem.

Don't know where it broke this time as the garage would not tell me. Last time broke near the gearbox end. Also the garage starting to blame the cheap cable as they don't fit right, but after I checked what he has done I think he done a bit of a mess as the ball joint fit appears at an odd angle and it cannot be adjusted. Can't see any adjustments other then removing the sleeve holding circlip and try to move the sleeve to a different position, but can't see how this can change the position of the actual cable which appears wrong. So I wonder the adjustment may be at the gear level under the car?

I’ve had one snap on me in the past, I don’t believe it’s that uncommon especially as they get older.

Mine snapped near the gearbox on a sharp curve where it looked like it had at some point been kinked and then over time worn and eventually broken.

I think the main problem is that the clutch is very heavy and I have to fully depress in order to get the gear changes requiring little lever forces. So when I don't press fully in order to change gears I need to put a lot more force in the lever, which in term wears out the cable quicker. My question now really is why the clutch is so heavy when worn, and is it worth doing it.

I think the main problem is that the clutch is very heavy and I have to fully depress in order to get the gear changes requiring little lever forces. So when I don't press fully in order to change gears I need to put a lot more force in the lever, which in term wears out the cable quicker. My question now really is why the clutch is so heavy when worn, and is it worth doing it.

There are two cables. The lower one seems more likely to fail than the higher one which is where my cable failed before I got the car. Two different cables failing seems a bit more likely.:idea:

There are two cables. The lower one seems more likely to fail than the higher one which is where my cable failed before I got the car. Two different cables failing seems a bit more likely.:idea:
Yes, in my case the bottom one (or left, N/S when viewed from gear stick attachment) failed twice. When I was checking the cable actions, the bottom one transfers the gear level forward and backward movement to the gearbox, i.e first to second, third to forth or vice versa, the other cable transfers lateral movement of the gear lever to the gearbox. When gear changes are stiff more stress is applied to the bottom cable as lateral movements are not normally stiff.

Back