Technical Gearbox, diff or driveshaft?

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox, diff or driveshaft?

boguing

Car's a basic 1.2. Lost drive last night. I can select all gears without the clutch, and in each gear I can hear a grinding noise which is faster in each successive gear. Neither driveshaft is turning, so its not a failure of the outer end s or cv joints.

I've got to go and tow it home this morning, but I'd appreciate your bets on what has broken. What's the weak point in these cars?

No, very gentle drive. Its an old 1.2 and is driven with respect to its maturity! I was doing about 40 and may have changed up into 5th gear just prior. No warning, no bang at the time. A crunch or two as I coasted to a stop and was trying to get any gear, with occasional drive to accompany those crunches. There is now absolutely no drive at all. It was a pitch black lane and I 'think' that there was a white flash behind me, which 'might' have been the reverse light. If it was the reverse light my guess would be that a bit of debris activated the switch.

Just been towed home. Speedo was reading at half speed, so I'm thinking that the diff is working and that the box output shaft or the primary gear has gone.

I would say the speedo should show same speed if driveshafts are OK. I believe the speed sensor on these gearboxes is mechanical ring attached to one diff output, If it runs at half speed then is not driven by driveshaft. Is quite likely that the driveshaft that drives the speedo ring is faulty. You should lift each wheel of the ground an try to rotate them in gear, if you can then that will confirm the driveshaft failure and side. You should not be able to do this in a good driveshaft.

You should not be able to do this in a good driveshaft.
Sorry this is a wrong statement. If any driveshaft is not working then lifting any wheel of the ground will allow the wheel to rotate if the in gear. To confirm you have a driveshaft issues you need to lift both wheel of the ground.

Back