Technical gear selector problem

Currently reading:
Technical gear selector problem

tomj25

well one problem fixed and on to another,, problem am having is when gears are selected sometimes it go's in ok then when try again it will go in but it wont come back out again but when switch ignition off its comes out fine,, have fitted all new gear linkages and bushs on gear lever , new oil and all new mounts on engine have been fitted, any ideas appreciated, van is 1989 fiat ducato autostratus

May be a silly question, but have you checked the clutch cable adjustment?

I did own a 1990 Talbot Express, which would have had the same box, and gear changing mechanism. The gear selection has been described by others as difficult. I particularly remember problems in changing down into second gear when approaching a roundabout, and going downhill. I have some vague and brief notes from that time.
From Peugeot workshop manual I have noted Short Link 111 +/- 1.5mm, Long Link 159 +/- 1.5mm. These are factory settings, but the vague bit is thatI have failed to record where the measurements are taken. They do relate to adjustments at the box. I have recorded that when engaging second gear the selector shaft moved further into the box. Also "Short link pushes to move selector out, hence shorten short link by one turn.). As I recall some improvement was obtained.
Perhaps decoding the above, and applying to your specific problem may help.

I did own a 1990 Talbot Express, which would have had the same box, and gear changing mechanism. The gear selection has been described by others as difficult. I particularly remember problems in changing down into second gear when approaching a roundabout, and going downhill. I have some vague and brief notes from that time.
From Peugeot workshop manual I have noted Short Link 111 +/- 1.5mm, Long Link 159 +/- 1.5mm. These are factory settings, but the vague bit is thatI have failed to record where the measurements are taken. They do relate to adjustments at the box. I have recorded that when engaging second gear the selector shaft moved further into the box. Also "Short link pushes to move selector out, hence shorten short link by one turn.). As I recall some improvement was obtained.
Perhaps decoding the above, and applying to your specific problem may help.

thanks for that i will get onto measuring the links once the weather picks up hopefully get some sort of improvement , forgot mention has had new clutch cable and as there wasn't one on van not really sure on where it ran to connect to box would this cause problems if wasnt running where it should be

As regards clutch cable adjustment, from first principles I would expect there to at least a trace of free play at the clutch operating lever. I suspect that there may be a specified measurement. Perhaps @bugsymike has it in his auto data manual?

decided to take the mechanism off to get some proper measurements and noticed that on the brand new linkage i have got a bit off damage on the smallest link as if the as is,coming over to far and hitting the side so dont know whats going on there

Attachments

• 20230727_162611.jpg
    20230727_162611.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • 20230727_162655.jpg
    20230727_162655.jpg
    1,018.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 20230727_162732.jpg
    20230727_162732.jpg
    784.8 KB · Views: 46
As regards clutch cable adjustment, from first principles I would expect there to at least a trace of free play at the clutch operating lever. I suspect that there may be a specified measurement. Perhaps @bugsymike has it in his auto data manual?
Didn't hold out a lot of hope, but found a 1985 Palgrave TSD Manual for the petrol 1.8 and 2 litre versions which states what I thought "no pedal free travel; clutch and brake pedals of equal height".
So basically where you have a clutch pedal that you can put your hand under and lift above the brake pedal easily , then the adjustment of the cable is to bring both pedals to the same height, as in the more slack you take out of the adjustment the clutch pedal rises to match the brake pedal normal height.
By this reckoning if a clutch cable snaps the pedal drops to the floor.
On another note if you have a cable clutch that the pedal has a "top stop" as in you cannot pull the clutch pedal above the brake pedal then normally a 1/16-1/8th of an inch of freeplay at the clutch release arm is sufficient.
Re the latest photos of linkage are the retaining clips missing that keep the ball in the socket , they look like a pin going through the hole in the socket and the other end swivels around to clip in the arm of the socket.

so my clutch pedal at the moment will literally lift so it touches the dash

Attachments

• 20230727_165057.jpg
    20230727_165057.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
so clutch cable adjusted now and it's sitting inline with brake pedal, unfortunately this hasn't cured problem 1-4 are ok but 5 and reverse are hard to engage and again getting stuck

So with cable correctly adjusted, I assume it feels smooth in clutch operation, no funny creaking noises etc. as you steadily depress the pedal?
If the gears select when engine off, I suspect a faulty clutch assembly, usually either oil on the clutch plate or broken fingers on the pressure plate making it out of "true" and not fully disengaging.
A sign of this can be clutch judder when gear has been engaged and trying to pull away on a steep hill.
A very temporary test for oil on clutch plate is to deliberately slip the clutch for a short while which burns the oil off the clutch and see if it engages easier then.
Either way if gears only engage smoothly with engine off I suspect gearbox out and repair as necessary.:(

so i assume the worst case and gearbox if on the way out do i need a box off same age and model or can i get a box off something similar

Back