Gear knob/stick issue.

Currently reading:
Gear knob/stick issue.

EvoPunto

Hello everyone.

I have an issue with my Punto.

I have a Fiat Punto 2000, to put the car into reverse you need to raise the thing under the knob(As you can see, I am not very mechanically minded) and then put the car into reverse.

When I bought the car it had a custom knob on it a sort of chrome one which doesn't fit and it forever falling off.

A spring from under the knob, appears to have fallen off and when I am driving and trying to put the car into gear 5 the bit under the knob is pulling up when it shouldn't be and the car won't allow me to go into 5th as it's assuming I want reverse.

I would be very grateful if anyone could diagnose the problem & advise me on the bits I need to buy in order to fix the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Hello everyone.

I have an issue with my Punto.

I have a Fiat Punto 2000, to put the car into reverse you need to raise the thing under the knob(As you can see, I am not very mechanically minded) and then put the car into reverse.

When I bought the car it had a custom knob on it a sort of chrome one which doesn't fit and it forever falling off.

A spring from under the knob, appears to have fallen off and when I am driving and trying to put the car into gear 5 the bit under the knob is pulling up when it shouldn't be and the car won't allow me to go into 5th as it's assuming I want reverse.

I would be very grateful if anyone could diagnose the problem & advise me on the bits I need to buy in order to fix the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, and welcome, :)

as you've seen the knob is just a push-fit on,

I would try and remove a knob, spring, and lift-ring from a scrap punto ;)

to give you an idea,:idea:
here are the parts from the similar Panda,;)

https://www.fiatforum.com/panda-guides/340216-lower-dash-removal-info-gear-change-too.html

I've used Araldite = Epoxy glue,
to glue the knob back onto the gearstick,

charlie

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your reply. It looks like I'll be getting my hands dirty over the weekend :)

Back