Technical Gas struts

Currently reading:
Technical Gas struts

Hi as my fiat 500 is quite modified and far from standard, one thing I have done is to re position the engine compartment lid to open upwards ( opposite to standard) to let more air in. as it's permanently open by a couple of inches.
However has anyone ever fitted a pair of gas struts that would self lift once I undo the rubber boot catches? If anyone has fitted them do you know what length they should be? lid weight is 2.9 kl not sure if I need pair as the boot lid is quite floppy like the bonnet.

Hi as my fiat 500 is quite modified and far from standard, one thing I have done is to re position the engine compartment lid to open upwards ( opposite to standard) to let more air in. as it's permanently open by a couple of inches.
However has anyone ever fitted a pair of gas struts that would self lift once I undo the rubber boot catches? If anyone has fitted them do you know what length they should be? lid weight is 2.9 kl not sure if I need pair as the boot lid is quite floppy like the bonnet.

Hi CF500, I too have a modified engine and a reverse opening engine lid, but mine is set onto the italian three point props used on race cars etc. The first thing you need to establish is what angle the lid will sit at when your gas struts are fully extended and then accurately measure for your strut length. You will need a pair in my opinion as the engine lid will in all probability distort if lifted on one strut. If you are intending to hold the lid in it's closed position and then release it the struts will have to be placed on the inside edges of the engine bay to give them a chance of compressing down. I have yet to hear of anyone using this type of engine lid prop. You must also remember that the heat inside the engine bay can get very high, this may effect how the struts operate.
Ian.

Attachments

• IMG_1988.JPG
    IMG_1988.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 19
Although I have never used (or even considered) using gas-struts, if you hunt through the various u-tube films you will find people who have not only used gas-struts but have been able to control how high they lift the engine cover---from fully closed to horizontal. My car, like Ian's uses standard 3-point frames to hold the engine cover open.
Just as a matter of 'pub-quiz' interest, having the engine cover open originated on the 600 based cars. It was found at a test session with a 1000tc, that the more the engine cover was open, the faster the car went until, with the engine cover horizontal, a gain of 6mph was achieved. The prototypes for the 850 originally were a 'fast-back'design (like the 600)---performance was very dissappointing until the rear of the design was altered to the 'boot' shape that we are all familiar with.

Regarding Struts thanks for your replies & advise, I would not use them to keep the lid fully open when driving, they would be there to self lift the lid and also to eliminate the use of the old fashioned bonnet stay. It just a matter of finding the correct position, length and strength, as I said the weight is 2.9 kill of the boot when held up.

I've often thought it would be a neat idea to use those struts that are used on greenhouse roof windows that automatically open when it's hot and close when it's cold.
(I know this isn't what the OP is looking for, just me rambling on, as usual :) ).

Al.

This company was very helpful with gas struts for my campervan top. There is a calculation tool somewhere on the website, where you can input your parameters. They also gave me a call back to discuss in detail. The struts have just been fitted and are a perfect match for 36 year old originals. Prices were very reasonable too..... highly recommended.
https://www.sgs-engineering.com/

Back