Gas cooker fitting

Currently reading:
Gas cooker fitting

Soapy water is apparently a no no as its corrosive according to a gas safe plumber I know

I would not take this piece of information all that seriously.
a) The test with suds was included in installation instructions for the gas cooker (Ariston) I installed some 15 years ago.
b) Considering materials used for the parts (brass, stainless steel), I cannot imagine they would corrode after being exposed to soapy water for, say, 5 minutes.
c) All plumbers, electricians etc. are speaking about their trades as if they were esoteric mysteries accessible only to the initiated ones and one wil hardly find two of them who would recommend the same solution (I remember the flamewar I caused when I asked a local forum of electricians whether or not it was compliant to use 1.5 mm2 copper cable after 16A circuit breaker. The dudes argued violently for more than 14 days and never came to any solution.).

Well people won't wash their car with washing up liquid due to the salt content.. Stainless isn't salt resistant unless its a4 grade gas leak spray is less than £5 a can ;)

As for electricians arguing that's normal the situation above depends on many factors such as length of run, how the cable is run, type of MCB and curve, and what type of load your running. Known 16a b curve beakers trip repeatedly at 2kw inductive load (9" angle grinder also seen "qualified electricians fit the wrong type of breaker to a system

Last edited:
one of them links says check your bbq for leaks every time, i dont remember seeing any leak detector in the ff stand stuff, best get ben to buy some

yeh and if you want to be really on the ball the flexi LPG rubber hose should be replaced every 4-5 years...... depending on use and exposure to gas and sun light

http://www.calor.co.uk/help-and-adv...s/cylinder-information/using-hoses-and-tubing

we carry a can of spray in the trailer tent for checking the fittings when we set up.. I have a fear of gas due to the way it can go BANG

Last edited:
I have over 100 tins of gas leak detector down in my cellar (long story) but if I did not have that soapy water works fine, wipe it off afterwards.

I think I may know the very forum where they argue for days on end about stuff like this. :)

If anyone is near Rossendale then they can pick up an entire box full - just ask.

I'm big into recycling groups and when I saw a plumbing centre disposing of a pallet full of them just because they had not got the correct labels then my plan was to rehome them. Tried ebay but its not worth it, so I just give them away. :)

Back