Technical Fuel gauge problem.

Currently reading:
Technical Fuel gauge problem.

marmitemanoa

My 2005 punto ELEGANZA has an issue with the fuel gauge. The tank is full so I know that's not an issue, when I switch the ignition on the gauge rises to around 1/4 of a tank and then drops. I have had the sender unit out and that's OK. I checked the resistance reading as I moved the float up and down. I've had the dials out and took the perspex screen off and helped the needle when I switched on the ignition. That didn't help. So I'm thinking it's a bad gauge. The needle can be moved manually through its full sweep and all other gauges work. The car is low milage or I would just swap the whole speedo unit for another but I don't want to lose the mileage and all the other gauges work fine. Can anyone give me any ideas please. Thank you all in advance. James.

My 2005 punto ELEGANZA has an issue with the fuel gauge. The tank is full so I know that's not an issue, when I switch the ignition on the gauge rises to around 1/4 of a tank and then drops. I have had the sender unit out and that's OK. I checked the resistance reading as I moved the float up and down. I've had the dials out and took the perspex screen off and helped the needle when I switched on the ignition. That didn't help. So I'm thinking it's a bad gauge. The needle can be moved manually through its full sweep and all other gauges work. The car is low milage or I would just swap the whole speedo unit for another but I don't want to lose the mileage and all the other gauges work fine. Can anyone give me any ideas please. Thank you all in advance. James.
are you in the right section? is your car a grande punto?

It's a 2005 3 door MK2 with the radiator grill.
according to this post if you get another lower mileage dash then when the calibration is done by multiecuscan or a tech the mileage will move forwards to the cars existing mileage. A higher mileage dash will keep that higher mileage.

Back