General Front Windscreen Replacement

Currently reading:
General Front Windscreen Replacement

gerhardj

Sunny Durban is the best.
My daughter bought her little X1-9 about 7 years ago. During the restoration work about a year later, the panel-beaters did not cover the windscreen while grinding on the front of the car, resulting in a heavily damaged windscreen.

Since then been looking for a replacement in South Africa.

At the end of January 2014, we found one, from a X1-9 being stripped, and brought it down to Durban.

This brings me to the purpose of this thread, the question then was, who will put it in. Most of the professional companies took one look at the car, the windscreen and us, and came up with a million reasons why they could not do it. Eventually PG Glass in Pinetown, grabbed the collective in one hand and confirmed that they can do it.

Here the process:
1. Spray lots of silicone onto and into the rubber holding the windscreen.
2. Leave for 2 to 5 minutes
3. Using a (for a lack of a better word) windscreen remover, (looks like a flattened screw-driver bent 90 degrees at the front) carefully work the way around the windscreen to loosen it from the rubber.
4. Some more silicone spray
5. Suction cups onto the windscreen and lifting/pulling it upwards and out of the rubber
6. Cleaning the lot of old grime
7. Suction cups on the new screen and reverse the process.
8. Gently tapping the windscreen downwards to ensure it settling in the rubber surround
9. Wiping the whole lot, and clean-up.

Total time spent: less than 20 minutes.

My advise to anybody would be to get a professional crew to do the replacement. Best R800.00 I spent on the little car ever.

Sorry, the intention was to record the process via camera, but it was difficult to take photo's while covering my eyes with both hands and praying.

Gerhard

Back