Technical Front Fogs Fitting

Currently reading:
Technical Front Fogs Fitting

A mito QV was c£150 PCM more on PCP.

You're doing well and you'll have more fun 'around the town' in the TA.

I have front fogs on the merc and think I have used them twice since I got it. If its only for aesthetics then why not jut fit them and don't bother wiring them up?

Looks a very simple swap

Pair going cheap. (Click here)

From all the postings on the towbar electrics I would probably keep the wiring simple - take a feed from the fuse board (as opposed to the battery) and have an inline fuse with a lighted switch and somehow get it through the bulkhead.

For an even simpler 'wring' setup there's a remote controlled switch. All that would be needed is a direct fused feed to the lights with an in-line controller for the on/off. Not too sure how this would 'fair' at an NCT / MOT or if it would even be legal.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Good idea, but I wonder if that would cause an MOT fail??

No. Front foglights are not part of the MOT & even if fitted, are not tested and do not have to work.

If the glass is broken, it is a fail at the tester's discretion, but that is because the broken glass could constitute a hazard, not because the light isn't working.

Rear foglights, however, are part of the MOT & must work correctly.

Last edited:
A few years since this thread was last commented on. I was contemplating retro fitting to mine but wouldn't attempt if the wiring loom wasn't already present. It seems strange that they would have separate looms for fogs and no fogs.

Anyone know whether they changed it at any point?

It seems strange that they would have separate looms for fogs and no fogs.

In years gone by manufactures would dip into the parts bin if supplies of one loom ran out an alternative would be used, my 2004 punto had the wiring looms already installed for front fogs, they even put the relay in the fuse box.

However in more recent years with the price of copper being sky high, manufacturers are very careful to ensure not a penny is wasted so cars are very unlikely to come with unnecessary wiring looms.

The only chance is if someone specified a optional extra or unusual configuration that maybe if climate control is fitted as an option the higher spec car would have had fog lights and so the whole wiring looms for a higher spec car is fitted.

I'm guessing you'll either have, or need to have the front bumper off the car soon so so it will become very quickly apparent if you have the wiring for the fog light

I am currently doing this myself to our "61" Lounge.

On the UK passenger side, if you take out the fog lamp blank cover you can see a section of loom just sort of hanging there. It has the same sort of plug that fits into one of the fog lamps.

We were lucky, on ours it was there. You can also access it by removing the wheel arch liner blanking plug.

However, the rest of the loom, the fog lamp wiring jumper, that goes from one lamp to other was not present.

It is item 16 on the fiatwebstore dot com in the lamps interior and exterior section

Bit childish not letting me post the link for you but there you go.

That part number listed on that page wasn't recognised by our local Fiat but I ordered one and collected it yesterday. The part number is 51798092, cost £28.01 plus VAT.

With all that fitted now, I now need to change the switch and then see where that gets me. Probably look at getting them enabled on the ECU during the next service if that is what is needed.

At least the two fogs are now linked if I need to make my own wiring loom.

Back